 Off-Topic / Debate / 18373
Re: Not embarassed to be a Canadian anymore...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 00:56:42 GMT

That may be part of the problem.  Of course the US won't necessarily release
top secret info for security issues, and I know that sounds convenient, but we
do need to trust our government to some extent.

Bull. I don't trust John Ashcroft to protect anyone's rights. Nor did I
trust Janet Reno either.

Did you even look at the "Habeas Corpus" post I posted? "sounds convenient"
indeed.

I trust that President isn't
so wacked that he'd risk 1,000s of American lives for no reason,
or a reason as
trite as "oil".  Maybe you don't trust him that much.  We can agree
to disagree.

I don't trust that the president isn't so wacked. Chretien's aide (sorry if
I mangled the spelling, I'm steamed and rushed, not a good combination) if
anything may have understated a bit.

Did you see him today pardoning the turkey? (1) What a performance!
Apparently we can pardon turkeys that are intended to be eaten but it's
important to press for the death penalty for people on death row regardless
of whether they're actually innocent and just got incompetent treatment
during their trial.

1 - Yes, I saw the turkey pardoning but I was a bit confused as to the
identities of the various participants.

++Lar

Two wrongs don't make a right.  Never did.  That said, in the realm of
politics and media, this sort of overheard private conversation makes for
great media attention.

Only if it a) embarrasses our president, b) coincides with the media POV

During another debate, I was, shall we say, slightly wrong on my stance.
There were those that probably thoguht 'He said that???  What a moron!'  I
would have prefered 'He said that??  Obviously he just doesn't get it!'

The aide is known for speaking 'everyday parlance' where 'moron' is another
way of saying 'he who doesn't get it!'.

Ahh, so that's the way it is in that family...;-)  Then I applaud them
(translation: they are a bunch of morons:-)

She was specifically talking about the aforementioned issue of this
'digression' of the war on terror.

But that still isn't the point.  The point is that OBL is still at large.
OBL is why this 'war on terror' started, and GW's policies today are
moronic--they are clouding the waters with this SH tangent.

Is like Dec 7, 1941 and FDR says "Oh, Japan just blew up a large portion of
our midway fleet and we're angry about it--let's concentrate *all* our
efforts on our war on Italy."

What if we learned that Mussolini trained the kamikazee pilots?  What if
Mussolini was supplying the Japanese with Zero spare parts?  And what if that
information was top secret.  The point is you wouldn't know, and to speak out
against attacking Italy would be rather ignorant.

The point is that we are fighting a non-traditional enemy and the book is being
written as we go along.  We may make misteaks along the way, but that will
probably be in seen in hindsight, not from kneejerk naysayers.

Best example I could think of right off the top of my head.

And no, I wasn't sarcastic at all--I really did appreciate a direct response
to my post, instead of a digression--the issue was the moron quote, not the
middle east issues--the war on terror was just showing the context of the
quotation, not the actual debate point.

Gotcha.

-John