 Off-Topic / Debate / 18352
Re: Not embarassed to be a Canadian anymore...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 20:29:00 GMT

And your rhetorical point is weakened still further since you're concluding
that, because diplomacy hasn't worked in one situation, it cannot work in
another.

I asked for an instance where it *has* worked in a major conflict.  Can you
cite?

You're setting an impossible task, you realize; there have been few
instances of conflicts solved solely by diplomacy because such conflicts
almost invariably start as exchanges of force.  Therefore there no pure
diplomatic solutions to cite.
Can you show me an instance where pure force solved a conflict and
maintained the subsequent peace?

Rome vs. Carthage, the three Punic Wars. The third was pure force, resulting
in the total anihilation of Carthage (even in physical terms) and
enslavement of the surviving carthaginians.
That is, in fact, a permanent solution. Question is, is it "doable" in
present days? If it were - would YOU participate in it? (1) I wouldn't.

By the way--what *would* Jesus drive?

For starters, it would have to be big enough to carry him and his 12
disciples....

  John--in all seriousness and without any sarcasm, I must commend you for
that.  I've heard all manner of condemnation for this ad campaign, with
Robertson going almost so far as to call it blasphemy.  Honestly, I don't
see the problem; if it's okay to ask the unanswerable question "What would
Jesus do?" then surely it's okay to rephrase it into the equally
unanswerable question "What would Jesus drive?"  I'm gratified and,
admittedly, a bit surprised to see that you have a sense of humor about it!

You mean to say that was an AD??? :-S
(What car, BTW?)

Pedro

(1) - "it" being the total anihilation of an enemy, way beyond his will to
fight has been crushed.