 Off-Topic / Debate / 18565
Re: What does a Republican have to do to cause outrage? [was Re: Not embarassed to be a Canadian...]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:09:59 GMT

==+==
But then it is extraordinary what you do and don't hear in the US at present.
Last Thursday, as predicted in this column a fortnight ago, senator Strom
Thurmond, who ran for president as a breakaway candidate in 1948, attained his
100th birthday. Among the tributes was one from a fellow senator, Trent Lott
of Mississippi, who recalled the fact that his own state had voted for
Thurmond as president. "We're proud of it," Lott said. "And if the rest of the
country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over
all these years, either."

A couple of facts may need explaining here. Trent Lott is no ordinary senator:
he is the leader of the Senate Republicans, who have just regained the
majority. That makes him something like the fifth or sixth most powerful man
in the country. And Strom Thurmond was no ordinary presidential candidate. His
campaign had one essential issue: the continuation of segregation.

Lott's remarks have been picked up by a handful of newspapers and TV stations
and none of the news agencies. What does a Republican have to do to cause
outrage in this place? Demand the return of slavery?

While I can only speak from my perspective as a denizen of that burning hotbed
of bleeding heart liberalism, Northern California, that isn't true at all from
what I can tell.  Lott's comment has been the primary topic of every talk radio
host I've heard, and it has been mentioned on all the network newscasts (both
radio and tv) that I've heard since the day before yesterday.

If there doesn't seem to be sufficient coverage, it could be because we have
plenty of other things to worry about, such as the carte blanche private
industry is being given to slash pensions by up to 40% to improve their bottom
line, or the threat just made to Iraq that the U.S. is willing to drop nuclear
bombs on them if they don't toe the line.

Maggie C. (this will probably be a drive-by--  sorry)