 Off-Topic / Debate / 18337
Re: Not embarassed to be a Canadian anymore...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 05:42:23 GMT

And I wonder how we would all feel if Dubya at least acted like a true
leader of "the people"--leading them to do the right thing--instead of
trotting down the same old 'naive solution' of 'he who has the biggest stick'.

I wouldn't exactly call "he who has the biggest stick" a naive solution--
perhaps a tried and proven one....

Remember, Saddam has a pretty big stick himself-- he has butchered 100,000s of
his own people with it!  So why are so many bleeding hearts concerned for *his*
welfare?  How about the Iraqis whom he has so brutally terrorized?  The
double-standard is so obvious!  And yeah, Saddam's overthrow will benefit the
US (and the world, for that matter) by eliminating a powerful sponsor and
sympathizer for worldwide terrorism, but what is wrong with a win-win?

What I want to hear, once, from any leader involved in this fiasco, is, "Yes
this was done to us, but we're going to take the high road--we're going to
extend the olive branch of true peace, and we're especially not going to
muddy the waters in order to get revenge."

This is not about revenge.  It is about protecting the future of Americans and
freedom itself.  What is "true peace"?  These people riot and murder because of
an innocuous statement about Muhammad at a beauty pagent.  Think for one minute
about what the world would be like if Christians reacted in the same fashion
every time such an offense was uttered about Jesus!  You cannot have "true
peace" with intolerance.

But no, that's not what we're getting--Larry's link to the Star Wars-esque
poster was dead on.  At least, so I have been noticing, the political
cartoonists don't feel that their mouths are taped shut, that they have a
first ammendment to stand on.

Dead on?  It was a joke.  I happen to have had a career *as* a political
cartoonist (back in my college days), and I can tell you that they are just as
much a political hack as any op writer, no matter on which side of the spectrum
they sit.

But that's too many things to delve into with one post.  How do I feel?
Canada was explicitly named in the list of likely candidates in OBL's latest
threat tape.  How do I feel?  That we're all sitting here in the same boat,
that we're looking for true leadership, and here goes Dubya after Saddem.

Interesting.  Why would Canada be on OBL's poop list?  What did you ever do to
him?  Sure, I can understand the big, bad evil United States, but sweet,
innocent Canada?  Think about that.  Think really hard back to some
transgression you committed.  If you can, you are lost.  If you can't, you
might start to see what the world is *really* facing.

-John