 Off-Topic / Debate / 14983
Re: It's brawl night in the kiddie pool
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:52:51 GMT

"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> writes:

I have participated actively in calls for banishment regarding
multiple people on LUGNET.  But, the cases I have participated in I
did so because I believed the person had overstayed their welcome
(after legitimate attempts to resolve the situation).

I'm trying to understand your point - what's the big deal if I'm an
active participant in a thread supporting someone's banishment?
Provided its an arguable case, like Dave! pointed out - not just
going off the cuff at someone who holds a different opinion.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone," the quote goes.

We probably agree that you are frequently sharing your opinions on the
(mis-)behavior of other people here.  If you want some credibility
with regards to your opinions on other people's behavior, you may want
to make sure that your _own_ behavior follow the same norms.

...unfortunately you can't expect the masses of people to not reply
to things like that.  Even if a group of core members who have been
through several provocations of that type by an outsider group
together and agree not to reply, the newer members or members not
familiar with those kinds of attacks will reply.  And it will
escalate.  I think its an inevitable situation.

This is a problem one will see in almost any discussion groups sooner
or later.  I would say it's a community problem rather than a problem
of individuals.  It can be triggered by anything.  You can have trolls
deliberately trying to upset people.  You also have people posting a
provoking article without the intent of doing so.  This can be due to
faulty understanding of language.  (Keep in mind that LUGNET claims to
be an international community.)  People can also post an upsetting
article because they are new to the newsgroup concept, or due to sheer
cluelessness.

In fact, I have done this myself.  I once started a huge flamewar with
no intention of doing so.  This was on a different medium.  Once it
had started, there was nothing I could do but to watch it happening.
It sincerely puzzled me.

Fredrik