 Off-Topic / Debate / 14920
Re: Was it a PR plug? (was: It's brawl night in the kiddie pool)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 15:30:04 GMT

Was it a PR plug?

From the ebay LD page:
==+==
LEGO Shop At Home
LEGO Shop At Home features the newest items, plus hard to find toys,
reissued classics, and special items not available in any store. LEGO Shop
At Home offers the fastest, most convenient way to get the LEGO toys your
child wants. In addition to our eBay auctions, you can find the best
selection of LEGO toys through Shop At Home. Visit us on the web at
http://shop.LEGO.com or call 1-800-453-4652 to request our catalog.
==+==

So?  Do you have an eBay page?  Do you list information that will help you to
get better sales?

Do you think the auctions resulted in positive PR for LD?
Yes/No

Sure.

Do you think the auctions increased awareness of LD?
Yes/No

Probably a little.

Do you think the auctions would have went ahead if there was a chance of
negative PR - even if they rose $$$ for a worthy cause?
Yes/No?

I imagine it would depend on the mechanism behind this hypothetical "chance of
negative PR."

Now I get to do some asking:

Do you think the world is a better or worse place because LD did this
fundraiser?

Do you believe that it is impossible to both help yourself and help others
simultaneously?

Do you think that everything done by a corporation is evil?

What would be your response if the UN had auctioned off something to help some
cause raise money and yet did so in a way which, to some degree, raised UN
awareness?

What do you think of eBay's whole auction for America drive?  Surely there is a
PR angle to the whole thing and yet lots of money is going to help those in
need.  Did you similarly lambast eBay (and virtually every company in America,
for that matter)?

Would it be possible for a company to donate to any cause and have you laud
them for it?

Remember that I answered all of your questions.

Chris