 Off-Topic / Debate / 14898
Re: LUGNET at risk
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 23:33:37 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
news:GnDq4w.EJq@lugnet.com...

[snip]

Further, I have it
on good authority that his vile and malicious posts caused a great deal of
personal sorrow within the LD organization, actually bringing some people • to
tears over his rudeness, for which no apology or remorse was ever • demonstrated.

When called on even the smallest of procedural issues he repeatedly caused
even more trouble with his truculence. (nice word, that... fits rather • well
in his case)

In this case, ignoring him would have helped how? When his mischief is
confined to .debate one has a certain expectation of what sorts of posts • one
would see. It is not reasonable to expect those out in .general and in
lego.direct to have that same expectation and his vitriolic posts cause
trouble, because they are not ignorable. Or would you have some sort of
general notice posted suggesting to all readers that they need to ignore
most of what he says???

He is of the same *kind* as MM. Just different in *degree*... more long • term
corrosive instead of short term explosive.

You have made the case many times that Scott contributes nothing positive to
the community, and I wholeheartedly agree.

At the same time, you continuously responding to his provocations also
damages the community - we have to wade through the nitpicky childish
debates, laden with juvinile insults and spiteful provocations to the point
of driving us mad.  Many people in the community have expressed the very
same thing, and yet you fail to see that your actions also contribute to the
problem.

Scott contributes nothing, you contribute in several positive ways.  If you
didn't constantly hash it out with Scott, you would be able to better use
your time to add to your list of positive contributions, instead of
contributing to the noise level by attempting to deal with Scott.

No, the more I think about it, the more I think that all of LUGNET would • be
better off without him. And I am certain I am not the only person who • holds
that view... I'm just the lightning rod for him at present but if I start
ignoring him it is my belief that he won't change his behaviour, just find
another set of victims.

Then stop being the lightning rod.  Let him whine and drivel on his own
without you involved.  He will continue to show the community what a waste
of bandwidth he is by his own actions.  And hopefully, the admins will do
something about it.

So I don't think ignoring him will solve the problem. It just means that
others get to deal with it. Innocent others who can't tolerate his slime • as
well as we hardened .debate readers can.

Ignoring him will make it harder to get what he wants.  I don't know his
true motives, but to me it looks like a ploy for attention.  And that's
exactly what he's getting, your (and our) attention.

He needs to be reprimanded, but you need to excercise restraint.  If you
don't excercise restraint, I will support reprimanding you as well.  It was
very nice during the time you mostly ignored him, you know...

So while HIS call for MY banishment can be viewed as a personal vendetta I
think I am justified in saying that mine is not of that sort at all. • Rather,
it's for the overall health of LUGNET that I make the suggestion.

You are justified in claiming for his banishment.  And I agree with your
points, I just don't agree with you continuing to bicker with him.  You
should realize that bickering with Scott will get you nowhere, and will only
contribute to the noise level and annoyance of the readers of LUGNET.  If
you want to bicker, take it offline.  The bickering is also hurting the
health of LUGNET.

-Tim