 Marketplace / Theory / 654
Re: [FA] - eBay - Lego CUSTOM: - Unique 4 axle custom Hopper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 05:49:32 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Dan wrote:
I do want to point
out for the record that I offered my own custom, unassembled, third-party model
kits before Larry

Cool! I stand corrected. Did you LDraw your instructions as well? Were
they listed on eBay or some other public venue?

My first set was only available through the online store on my web site, but it
is no longer available.  It came with rudimentary instructions made using a
digital camera, as my Mac is not L-Draw compatable.  (We're buying 2 PC's for
my company this month and I will resume making customs sets available as soon
as I have L-Draw instructions)

Anyway, what matters is that the time for this activity has come, not
who did it first. I'm keen on discussing how best to do this.

Yes, I agree that the time has more than come for customs sets produced by
fellow enthusiasts.  It is a difficult endeavor, as you must know, because we
must buy the parts from sets at retail and try to keep the whol thing
affordable.  Thanks to a lot of requests, I am working on a "for sale" kit of
my WW2 Corsair model, which I am redesigning to make using only readibly
available parts, as you have done...

My hopper has been redesigned (in ways not visible to the casual
observer) to decrease rare parts (1x10s are rarer than 1x4s and 1x2s for
example), but I want to get to one part count configuration and stay
there. I'll go crazy if I have to be in a mode of constantly revising
instructions and partslists based on what I ran off in a particular
batch.

The big thing that stands in my way vis a vis releasing a more diverse
collection of sets is the huge question mark around whether I can pull
together enough parts, reliably sourced, to support ongoing production.
This batch of 9 (which was planned to be 10, but I ran out of one kind
of part) was the biggest I've done yet.

OK then... watch for a posting in a few days of huge 4-8-8-4 locomotive I built
over the weekend.  I'm taking pictures of it tomorrow and hope to have them
posted to my site by tomorrow evening.

Love and Bricks!

Dan

Blackened's Brick Mania!
Unofficial LEGO website and online store
http://www.visi.com/~blackened