 Marketplace / Theory / 649
Re: [FA] - eBay - Lego CUSTOM: - Unique 4 axle custom Hopper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 00:48:24 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Ray Sanders writes:
Nephilim wrote:
There is nothing wrong with selling custom models made of LEGO elements
as long as you don't represent them as being a product of TLC, which
was really what you were saying.  I agree.  It's no more a problem for
LEGO for us to do this than it is for us to auction off old sets or
hold piece auctions.

Ahh, but all the parts *are* official TLC parts (even if you do not say
that). A big issue with bulk sales is that someone does not take
advantage of the *privilege* (of buying bulk) to compete with TLC in the
same venue. I would hate to see a MB package with the sticker "now with
official Lego pcs" <shudder>. See some of my other posts in this thread
about venue.

I'm too much of a pessimist to expect that the bulk sales are going
to come cheaply enough that a clone manufacturer could hope to
compete directly against LEGO by buying their elements.

I don't think LEGO isn't going to price the bulk elements that
cheaply.  They may seem cheap to us AFOLs used to buying entire $60
sets to scavange a few coveted elements, but anything made from
elements bought in bulk is going to cost considerably more than it
would if it came prepackaged in a box from LEGO.

Clone manufacturers compete with LEGO based almost purely on price.  LEGO
will not price their bulk elements in such a way that anyone could
seriously compete with them on that basis.  New-improved-Megablox "now-with
Real-LEGO-elements" isn't going to happen for that reason - the sets
would cost more than the competing LEGO sets, not less.

AFOLs selling custom sets won't compete with LEGO.  We are a market,
not a competitor, until the day one of us starts selling pieces en
masse of our own design and fabrication.

--

jthompson@esker.com    "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"