 Marketplace / Theory / 642
Re: Custom lego Kits group (was 4 axle custom Hopper)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 23:53:43 GMT

James Powell wrote in message ...
Personally, I would boycott any bulk purchasing
arrangement in which the purchase agreement disallowed resale.

Todd,
(and everyone else too!)
I would think that they -might- put a stipulation on that you cannot resell
directly (Ie auction on E-bay for 3x the money).  I would agree with a • limit
like that.  I also would agree if they said : no building sets from • parts -for
resale-.   This then allows people either to:

A. sell the instructions (created with Ldraw, which really is all Larry is
copywriting anyway)
B. Give away instructions knowing that the parts are available through L@D

It also avoids the potencial problem of someone getting really antsy and • sueing
L@D for being part of a deal that goes bad (possible, but unlikely)

As a personnal thing, I think that the first restriction would be a -good-
one.

Actually, it could be bad. What if their bulk ordering ends up requiring
orders of minimum quantities and dollar amounts? If they prohibited re-sale,
the bulk ordering would only be available to those able to meet their
quantities. Bad. I want TLC to be able to decide that the only cost
effective way for them to offer train windows in a wide variety of colors is
to have the freedom to decide that the quantity needs to be 100 (or 1000, or
10000) for it to be economically worthwhile. At 100, I might buy for myself.
Above that, I would want to be able to re-sell the parts. I would expect to
make a small amount of money (after all, I am putting up the capital). I
would be willing to pay a small premium for someone else to do the order. If
the only people selling are auctioning on eBay and getting 3x the price,
I'll buy a lot, sell to my friends at cost, and put the rest on eBay.

I also see no reason for them to protect in any way against resale. So long
as they set the prices so they make the same (or most likely a higher - look
in the past for discussion about the reasons this is possible) return on
investment as they make for sets, they are doing just fine. They will sell
more total product. They also don't really have to worry about pissing off
the retailers. The vast majority of retail purchases in most markets is
still John Q Public buying for his kids. They won't notice much effect at
all if AFOLs bulk buying stop purchasing (well, ok, they might notice that
their clearance sales don't clear out the product as quick...).

Frank