 Marketplace / Theory / 616
Re: [FA] - eBay - Lego CUSTOM: - Unique 4 axle custom Hopper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 15:47:55 GMT

John Neal wrote:

As the winner of the first hopper Lar constructed for auction in the Gary
Louie Memorial Auction, I can testify to the model's merit.  It is a must
car for every serious Trainiac's collection (Puts the  4536 to shame, IMHO
).  Of course, this car  looks best in a string of about 10; which begs a
question from me, Lar.  Do you have a problem with folks purchasing a
hopper and then copying it over and over, perhaps in other color iterations
in their own collection?  I think I know what you'll say but wanted to hear
it from you anyway.

Nope. In fact the lot description specifically states that you can make
as many copies as you want, for your own use. You just don't have
commercial redistribution rights.

Offline, two people pointed out that one can come quite close to
replicating the design merely by using information published in the
listing. That's OK. Those people will know they have a clone, not the
real thing.

As to Scott-A's question about whether one can copyright a design made
from LEGO, I believe it to be the case that one can. What is being
copyrighted is the arrangement of parts, not the parts themselves.
Further, the instructions themselves clearly are copyrightable.