 Marketplace / Theory / 619
Re: [FA] - eBay - Lego CUSTOM: - Unique 4 axle custom Hopper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 17:25:00 GMT

Kevin Wilson wrote:

I'll be very interested to see how this goes. It's something I have been
contemplating doing too. I wonder how TLC will react to this - after
all, it's competition for them, in a small way. I also wonder about the
possibility of forming a group or consortium of people who do or want to
do this kind of thing - a group sales website, for example, would pull
in more traffic than multiple individual websites.

I'm interested in a group, let's discuss further. I know you're looking
at the selling end but I'm most interested in the production end of
things... until you try to produce ten copies of something you don't
really know what's entailed. I wish Suzanne had time to share some
thoughts around her CEK production runs.

Until it becomes clear what the parameters around bulk buying are (a few
problems I can think of: it may not happen fast enough, it may not have
the parts I need, and it may have a non commercial use restriction on
the parts you get), one of the big areas of interest for me is to get
together on parts.

So far all the models I have done have been done without regard to how
easily sourced their parts are. I tinkered with the hopper a bit but
that was retrofitting rather than design with manufacturability in mind,
so to speak. That must change.

I wonder if its possible to identify a collection of sets which are
currently in production (preferably 2000 sets, as they have the longest
lifetime remaining (1)) that taken as a collective, have a good
selection of parts, and which a group could devise commercially viable
models across several themes that used all or most of the parts in them
up, in  good proportions.

This is a variant on the "alternate model" problem. The idea is to pick
3 or 5 parts rich sets and devise 3 or 5 or 8 or 12 (or whatever) MOC
models that can be made from them leaving very little ("use the whole
pig, even the squeal") behind. And what is left behind should be salable
or at least suitable to be given away. I'm not a good space designer, or
castle designer, so that's where a group of designers of different
interests might come in handy. Some random space set may have parts I
desperately need but also have a lot of dross from my perspective (what
exactly do I need an exploriens wing section for in a train? :-) ) that
is someone else's key part.

Sith Infiltrator seems like it would be in just about anyone's list of
parts rich sets.  :-) Any other candidates? Parts buckets for bulk, no
doubt...

Note that the proportions don't need to be 1:1, it's OK to for example
require that you have 3 of 1 set, 2 of another, and only 1 of some of
the others per "unit" of production.

How much life does 3225 have left in it? it's a great Train parts
source, better than 4561, I think. But I hear its days are numbered.

If such a consortium were put together I'd be happy to pay a little bit
above cost to NOT have to sort parts out.

1 - if cost were the only objective, sets on closeout are good
candidates, but how much longer will they be around? Better to use newer
ones and have more time to stock up if demands warrants.