 Marketplace / Theory / 626
Re: [FA] - eBay - Lego CUSTOM: - Unique 4 axle custom Hopper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 20:11:23 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Kevin Wilson writes:
I'll be very interested to see how this goes. It's something I have been
contemplating doing too. I wonder how TLC will react to this - after
all, it's competition for them, in a small way.  [...]

I'm not worried about it.  People have been selling custom LEGO models via
auction for more than 5 years and as long as you don't infringe on any of
TLC's IP or accidentally misrepresent the models as being official, it's
really no different in the worst case than if you were some other actual
toy company selling clones.

I see it as light-years away from selling clones.  I get what you're
saying, but, clone manufacturers have to take care not to violate
any of LEGO's patents.  Since we're not manufacturering bricks, that's
not a problem in the least.

There is nothing wrong with selling custom models made of LEGO elements
as long as you don't represent them as being a product of TLC, which
was really what you were saying.  I agree.  It's no more a problem for
LEGO for us to do this than it is for us to auction off old sets or
hold piece auctions.

It's not competition with LEGO, since they provide the source material
we use.  We still have to buy the elements from them to build the
custom models.  They profit.

(Disclaimer:  IANAL)

(Disclaimer:  Me neither).

--Todd