 Marketplace / Theory / 645
Re: Custom lego Kits group (was 4 axle custom Hopper)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 00:21:30 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Ray Sanders writes:
The other side of the coin is: How will bulk ordering affect todays
marketplace activity. How many sets are being purchased today that will
not (or would not) be sold if those desirable parts were available
directly. An example (minor tho it is): 1x2 green grill tiles. How many
sets had those. Damn few. If I could buy those in a bag of a 100, how
many original set sales would have not been made ?

A smart person at TLC would take the data from a few months of Bulk sales and
say, "Ok people, our Lego Direct people say we've got 1000's of 1x2 green grill
tiles selling bulk, 10000's of green train windows selling, 1000's of blue 2x2
tiles, etc.  Let's design a set that uses 80%+ of these parts and put THAT on
the shelves".  This way, we'd get the parts we want (we tell Lego what we want
through Bulk ordering), and they'd use the data to make the sets we'll buy
(based on what we want for parts).  Part buyers would be happier (and buy more
sets) making them get richer.  In other words, make it so that the parts we
want dictate which parts go into the sets.

It takes more skill to design sets this way.  In the end though you please
people who buy for parts and people who buy for the set design, and the
$$$ reward is much greater than the current "you'll buy what we tell you to
buy" mindset.  I think the soccer bus sets are good examples of how this would
manifest itself in the real world marketplace.

Ben Roller