 Marketplace / Auctions / 3032
3031  |  3033
Subject:
eBay rules (was Re: McDonalds set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 16:46:31 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
I got an offline question about TOS (which means Terms of Service) and
where it is.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/png-user.html

See section 5 for the rule against offering bidders items. At least
that's how I read:

"You may not email bidders in a currently open auction being run by a
different seller, offering similar or the same items at any price level
(bid siphoning)"

I went to that URL and the fifth section no longer contains that text. The only
relevant rule seems to be the following:

  5.5 Manipulation. Neither bidders nor sellers may manipulate the
  price of any item nor may you interfere with other user's
  listings or auctions.

In my opinion, if the reading of this rule is to prohibit feedback of the
nature Larry described, then it would also prohibit any feedback, since all
feedback obviously affects the success of a seller's listings and auctions.

It also says at the top of the page that the user agreement came into effect on
Sep. 27th, or Oct. 27th (depending on the situation) so it seems likely your
clause was removed on purpose.

- Robert Munafo