 Marketplace / Theory / 242
Re: Ulterior motives (was Re: Don Quixote puts away his lance (was Re: McDonalds set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 16:19:07 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:
James Brown wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
I want a successful venue to exist that is not eBay, if at all possible.

Ditto.

It may not be. If the differential is too great, I will sell my stuff on
eBay while holding my nose. I'd rather sell it on SC or JABA or
Brickyard or Busse or anywhere that doesn't have fixed ending time
auctions and doesn't stack things against buyers... but I personally am
only willing to sacrifice about 10% of the price I can get, if that.

I haven't been paying attention lately(1), but for quite a while I was
watching SC and Ebay prices, and they were generally comparable.  Within a
few percent, in fact.  Although I will confess that I tossed (IMO)
extraneous data points.(2)  Has anyone been paying enough attention to see
if that is still the case?

Here's a data point for you
<snipped monorail & boat examples>

I'm forced to conclude that SC prices are on the decline. Great news for
buyers, for now, but soon sellers won't list there.

Hmm.  Neat.  The castle sets currently there seem to be fetching about
equivalent prices to what I'm used to seeing.  The 6009 is higher on SC, and
the 6044 and 6038 are higher on e-bay, but they're all in the same range.
(the 1906 is way lower on e-bay, but I expect that to correct itself - or
maybe not, I recently won a lot of 5 sets including 1906 on e-bay for ~50)

Looks like your hopper cars are about equal.  The ones in the gallery are
going for more than the ones on SC, but the ones just listed (on e-bay) are
going for less (or were when I looked).

It's fairly moot in my case since for quite some time now, prices on both of
them are rising higher than what I'm willing to pay, (now that I have most of
what I'm looking for, set-wise.)

I tend to check SC more frequently because it's so much quicker.  I tend to
skim e-bay, so it's possible I miss some steals, but my time is worth more
than e-bay takes.  In that regard (as well as others) I find SC preferable as
a buyer.

YMMV
James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/