 Marketplace / Theory / 235
Re: Don Quixote puts away his lance (was Re: McDonalds set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 18:15:30 GMT

Tony Priestman wrote:

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Larry Pieniazek (<37EF7D5C.F29409B@voyager.net>)
wrote at 14:21:16

Saving hapless bidders from being foolish may be fun, but it's not fun
enough to compromise morals.

I presume the TOS says something about providing email addresses to
third parties?

I honestly don't know, I just read it again and I wasn't sure. But under
my rather strict morality, anything that I do with intent to evade a
clear prohibition that I have agreed to abide by(1), is not OK, no
matter if it's explicitly prohibited or not. Their intent is clear. It's
wrong, but it's clear.

On further reflection, the notion of a non user viewing entries to get
email addresses where they are visible as part of the ID, which I
suggested in my previous post, may not be OK either. Even a viewer of
the site is typically bound by the site TOS, although their TOS is a bit
muddy on that point:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/png-user.html

See the second paragraph where it claims assent to TOS is signified by
pressing "I accept". Most sites claim assent is achieved by viewing.

1 - Unlike, say, a tax, a contract is a free association between
consenting adults. Either abide by the terms or don't contract. A tax,
imposed by force unilaterally, carries no such moral restriction. I
didn't consent, so I can evade with moral impunity (although I may have
differences of opinion with the IRS or Inland Revenue or whoever).

lugnet.