 Off-Topic / Debate / 2281
Re: Don Quixote puts away his lance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 01:11:11 GMT

Josh Spaulding wrote:

The market is not competing on who
has the least, but rather on who can come closest to the standard.
Vigorous competition often produces better products in the absence of
any specific standard to serve as a shield to hide behind.

I think competitive improvement requires the postulate of an informed, active
consumer base, which does not seem descriptive of America today.

Granted. No one said it would be easy to move in the direction I'd like
to see us move in. But in turn I'm sure you'd admit that the potential
is there for the regeneration of such a base.

Are you speaking strictly theoretically, or are there real examples of
deregulation leading to safer, more effective products? I don't mean to make
you
delve into research, as I have no intent of doing so myself; I just want to
know
how many grains of salt I should take with your statement.

I'll claim that there are some examples but not actually dig them up
unless it becomes a bone of contention. Telephony is rather a muddy
example but I'm much more pleased with the phones I have now than back
prior to 1976.

Although there's a lot about Libertarianism that I don't agree with, I like the
"stop whining and start providing effective feedback" attitude; and I like the
idea of working a system to try to achieve one's goals, as opposed to
immediately using reactionary rhetoric to denounce the system itself.

We do that too, mind you. :-)

But when public safety is at stake, I think it's important to have a system
more
pre-emptive than market feedback (or even than anticipated market feedback).
Federal standards serve this purpose. And I'm not sure why you suggest that
they
stifle improvement; I frequently see car ads which boast their products'
excellent safety records or superior fuel efficiency.

Time to trot out the hoary example about what if cars were like
computers? LOL... While some
level of adverts do occur I posit that we really WOULD be driving 100
mpg cars by now if that's what people really wanted.

Carmakers now play games with the regs (for example, Chrysler is
stumping to have the PT Cruiser, a neon based retro station wagon with a
rump trunk, classified as a truck so that they can meet their truck CAFE
standards, just barely) instead of really innovating. So does everyone
else, wherever there is a reg.

lugnet.