 Marketplace / Theory / 240
Re: Don Quixote puts away his lance (was Re: McDonalds set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 05:43:31 GMT

This afternoon, in a fit of madness and general misanthrope (from
spending the morning at the car dealership, getting repairs, and then
the DMV for a drivers license renewal) and upon seeing a thread on rtl
about the extremely high priced $11.00 set on eBay, I hit eBay to look
for other people selling the McDonald's set on eBay. I found a few
auctions for the set. A couple had started within $2 of the s@h price,
and two more (from the same seller) were set with a starting bid of
$24.95. There were no bids on the 24.95 sets yet, but as it IS eBay, I
have no doubt that some sucker is gonna bid.

So, I sent the seller a nasty email (remember the DMV) that I regret the
wording of 10 hours later, but do not regret the spirit of. I also
posted feedback that said "Neutral: RIP OFF! trying to sell new, easily
availble lego as rare at 2x full retail."

At 8pm, I got a telephone call from the seller, threatening a legal suit
in Dallas Municipal Court (1) for slander(2). Apparently, this guy is an
eBay Power Seller and makes his living hawking stuff on eBay. He mostly
sells out of print CDs and scalps concert tickets (illegal in some
states. eBay should ban it.)

Anyway. Just moments ago I read the thread over here on lugnet. Just
wondering what the opinion was on a) whether or not I'm "siphoning" by
posting that comment in feedback and b) whether I'm on the moral high
ground or if I acted like too much of a tool in my fit of madness and
general misanthrope.

I'm calling Lego Legal in the morning to see if they can provide
official documentation that the set isn't rare. I have unofficial
statements from the s@h operators that they have "mad quantities" on
hand, ready to ship. If this guy actually files, I'll let you know what happens.

-Dave

completely off topic - Between visits to the drivers license office, I
had to go get a replacement social security card. The state now insists
that you have proof of SSN to get a license renewed. Luckily, Dallas has
a large federal building walking distance from city hall, where the DL
office is. The lady that helped me at the SSA office was totally
pleasant, helpful, and expeditious. Nicest faceless bureaucrat I ever
met. :) :) I was on my way back to city hall within 5 minutes, proof of
SSN in hand. The nice lady at the SSA office took my expired DL as proof
of identity too, which I thought was pretty neat. I didn't mention to
the lady at the DL office how easy it was at the SSA office. I just
smiled and gave her the $16.00.

1 - I could be wrong, but I think municipal court is for speeding
tickets and stuff. But, IANAL. We'll see what happens.

2 - Yeah. Slander. If you aren't sure why this is silly, look it up.
Compare "libel" (3)

3 - Of course, the truth is an impenetrable defense to accusations of
either slander or libel. I'm pretty sure I've got the law on my side.