 Marketplace / Theory / 237
Re: Ulterior motives (was Re: Don Quixote puts away his lance (was Re: McDonalds set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 02:15:39 GMT

James Brown wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
I want a successful venue to exist that is not eBay, if at all possible.

Ditto.

It may not be. If the differential is too great, I will sell my stuff on
eBay while holding my nose. I'd rather sell it on SC or JABA or
Brickyard or Busse or anywhere that doesn't have fixed ending time
auctions and doesn't stack things against buyers... but I personally am
only willing to sacrifice about 10% of the price I can get, if that.

I haven't been paying attention lately(1), but for quite a while I was watching
SC and Ebay prices, and they were generally comparable.  Within a few percent,
in fact.  Although I will confess that I tossed (IMO) extraneous data
points.(2)  Has anyone been paying enough attention to see if that is still the
case?

Here's a data point for you

There have been two 6990s auctioned off on SC. The first one had a box
but had some missing pieces.  The condition of the set is pristine,
almost brand new. All the missing parts save one control stand and 4 1x2
arrow tiles(1) are easily replaceable. It was Derick's and went for 250.

The second one had no box or instructions but also is in very good
shape. Perhaps not quite the "almost brand new pieces" feel but still
very nice. More complete although I am not sure how much more. It was
Chris Dee's and went for 100.

I know. I bought both of them. Ah, the things I do for science. I need
to stop buying monorails. I have enough. :-)

Also consider the boats. That fleet of boats I sold recently as part of
the Swan collection did not go for nearly as much as the "500" boats
did. Nor for as much as eBay boats in recent memory have.

I'm forced to conclude that SC prices are on the decline. Great news for
buyers, for now, but soon sellers won't list there.

1 - those I am interested in finding replacements for, note me if you
have some you'd consider selling. Oh, and a white 2x2 radar dish, I seem
to be running low on those.

lugnet.