 Local / Australia / 1435
  What do other parents do with Lego guns?

Following on from the topic of "small action boys" and Lego stereotyping in loc.au, what do other parents do with the guns in their Lego sets? Until recently I'd only ever bought one set with guns (Pirate skeleton cave) and I threw them straight in (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) We don't have kids yet, but we've talked about what we will do. We'll not buy sets which blatently have a lot of guns (like the wild west, and many of the pirates sets), and we will remove them from sets that do. (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

I have a nephew that plays with me, and his mother insists that no guns are allowed in our play. I remove all Lego guns, but it amazes me, because everything he builds has some sort of weapon. (When you are 4 or 5, anything that you put your hands (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general)

Deidre Rushton Brumby <drb@tasmail.com> wrote in message news:FwHDFI.94z@lugnet.com... (...) in (...) cave) (...) toy (...) home (...) I have a 10 year old daughter. She still has her rifles and pistols from her Adventurer sets and her swords and (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) My 8 year old son, who's been playing with LEGO toys since he was 4, knows that guns are not toys and he rarely plays with them, so it's not an issue. We also enforce safety rules about any plaything that launches projectiles not being toward (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) This reminds me of the t-shirt that big bugger (played Jaws in a couple of Bond films with Roger Moore) wore in "Happy Gilmore" which said "Guns don't kill people. I do!" That cracked me up. But on a serious note, I tend to agree with your (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

In lugnet.loc.au, folks write stuff on their avoidance of guns as a worthy element of raising children, and ask "What do other parents do with Lego guns?" I'm a bit unreconstructed I'm afraid. I let the Lego men (and sometimes the Lego ladies) have (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) Pretty ironic scene for a presumably violent movie (I've not seen it). I have to say that from my perspective, I don't have a strong objection to toy guns. As several people have mentioned, even when you take all the toy guns away, the kids (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) It's actually got a lot of anti-violence messages. (Mixed in with violence, of course. Gotta sell tickets.) The kid tries to teach the terminator not to kill people. (...) I'm not opposed to exposing kids to the existence of guns -- in fact, (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) From my perspective it arose from discussions in loc.au of the new "coming soon" leaflet which has a blurb about the Action Wheelers and how these were for boys. This led to varied items of discussion including the behaviour of small boys, (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) He succeeded too. If only it were that simple... (...) Neither am I, but it has to be in a controlled and mature way. From the sounds of it some people would rather rewrite their kiddies wall mounted picture- alphabet to include things like "G (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

Let your kids play with toys guns or not, that is up to you. My parents did not let us have toy guns, and my kids will probably not have toy guns either. Will my kids have toy guns in their LEGO sets? Probably. If they like a theme that happens to (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

In lugnet.loc.au, Christopher Masi writes: <snip on interesting analogy on LEGO and weapons> (...) Interesting research. I wonder if TLC has an official stand on this issue. (...) True. However I think there are several issues here. Just remember (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

All right, I'm not a parent, but I'm going to add my $0.02 to the discussion... All righty, I'll say right now that my parents didn't do this whole shielding me from the world thing, but I don't think it was until I was 5 that I got any toy that (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) But I am a twit for not explaining my acronym... IANACP = I am not a child psychologist Pete Callaway (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

Hi, I don't quite see what the problem is with this issue. Why is it we let our kids play with toy guns, and not with toy knifes? Simple, it's because a child has a zero chance of getting its hands on a gun, but numerous knives are availiable around (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) I absolutely agree but as the parent of a younger child that does not yet distinguish reliably between fantasy and reality this is very very hard. Someone else essentially said this somewhere else in this tangled thread (Pete C I think) and (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

Whew - what a debate. Not being a parent, I would say as always it is up to the parents concerned to decide, as they know they're children better than anyone (I hope) and are fitting it into a more comprehensive vision of parenting. However, my two (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) I understand your point, but to nitpick, it's Sarah's son who observes that "there's no hope," and in fact when she's confronted with the horror of her own violence (a la Swiss cheesing), she breaks down and finds that she can't murder an (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

What about Space ships and other things with "futuristic guns"? Are those off limits too? Or, what about sets that merely suggest violence? Would you forbid him to own the new Star Wars minifig sets, just because some contain a light sabre? (which (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) You might be right. It was the policy when I was raised, and it's the policy in our house now. But it could be just coincidence that I came out OK (??), and my kids seem to be tracking (but it's early) to come out OK too. So who knows... (for (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) It's not that far. Someone (not me, I never would have approved it) got Super Smash Brothers for Nik when he was 7. He likes it a lot which in fact is a large bit of a disappointment for me, as it has no redeeming value in my opinion. (Super (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) I don't know of anyone here in Lugnet which I feel I know them well enough to understand their stance on guns, who would feel that way. (...) One curiousity which came to mind. How many of you are comfortable with child play which involves (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) Unless, I hope, he makes a working LEGO machine gun and begins shooting other people with it. <snip> (...) I'm not a parent, but I completely agree with you. I had access to G.I. Joe, Star Wars, and similar "violent" toys all through my (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

Howdy, ....this issue has always been a bit of a conundrum for me at the school. As a matter of policy, there are no references to guns. I also toss all guns/weapons into the trash. I remove all minifigs with gun elements painted on them. I do this (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) To further nitpick your nitpick, I thought he kneecapped three of those SWAT guys and hit the last one in the back with the smoke-canister launcher. But your point is well made. It's been a while since I've seen T2. (...) I too had toy guns, (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) Doh--forgot about them! As for the smoke cannister--I think I'd rather get shot with a fat, low-velocity cylinder than a conventional bullet... Or at least I suppose I would--they'd both probably hurt like heck! Dave! (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) Without having any children on my own (who could make a mess of mine and my husbands Lego-collection), I find that my friends children, and particularly the boys, do have a grate tendency to play "figting-games" - with about anything they may (...) (24 years ago, 22-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) Hello Anne! It's always nice to see people de-lurk! So you are from Trondheim. That is the location of Nidaros Cathedral, probably the most beautiful and historic Gothic cathedral in Norway, if not all of Scandinavia. Welcome to LUGNET! Gary (...) (24 years ago, 22-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) I'm not a parent, so I don't really know, but when I was a kid, I was really annoyed that Lego policemen didn't carry guns. It wasn't so much that I wanted to shoot something, it was because police officers carry guns. That's the way things (...) (24 years ago, 22-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) I agree....I dont think "Out of sight...out of mind" is the answer to our gun problems....The key is education......if a kid picks up a toy and hits someone with it....you take it away....the kid will just find something else to hit someone (...) (24 years ago, 22-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) I am comfortable enough with it that my son plays that way sometimes without being hassled by me. I choose not to partake. Just like I choose not to enact gunfights with LEGO (with him...obviously I was doing just that in the pirate game). (...) (24 years ago, 24-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) I think we'd be in a very crowded England. Military might was the enabler of colonialism. And maybe the world would have been a mroe fair place, but it would be very different. (...) Not I. Exposure to both is OK. (...) Me too! The more (...) (24 years ago, 24-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) I think part of the reason that no such lobby exists is because the frequency of bleach-related violence is very low, and almost no one robs a convenience store with a bottle of soap. Of course you're correct, though; the incidence of (...) (24 years ago, 26-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  guns vs. household cleaners vs. gamers (was Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?)

(...) firearms. (...) I do know of a young woman filling an electric Uzi-style squirtgun with bleach and using to deface people. But I agree that it's pretty rare. But, people lobbying/arguing/whining against guns invariably say that it's for the (...) (24 years ago, 26-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) Here are a few stats that you might find interesting: Did you know-- * Every 13 seconds one of America's 70 million gun owners uses a firearm in defense against a criminal? * American women use handguns 416 times a day in defense against (...) (24 years ago, 26-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: guns vs. household cleaners vs. gamers (was Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?)

(...) Yikes! Is that sort of sociopathy legally actionable in any way? It doesn't seem to me too far-fetched that a jerk sufficiently insecure and out of balance to threaten a 14 year old with both fist and firearm might act on his those same (...) (24 years ago, 26-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: guns vs. household cleaners vs. gamers (was Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?)

(...) I'm pretty sure that it would be called assault. Possibly assault with a deadly weapon. I'm sure it was a felony. My friend was startled for a moment and then recovered by shout-laughing something like 'you're going to shoot me because we (...) (24 years ago, 26-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: guns vs. household cleaners vs. gamers (was Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?)

(...) ingestion (...) Actually, they are trying frantically to get people to lock up dangerous chemicals and keep them away from kids, so I can't agree with this line of logic. Thinking about it more, this line of logic is: hey, people are stupid (...) (24 years ago, 27-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: guns vs. household cleaners vs. gamers (was Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?)

(...) What I assert is that "no one is lobbying to remove bleach from the public." And to the best of my knowledge, this is true. Trying to get people to lock their bleach away from kids is different -- in several senses -- than trying to remove (...) (24 years ago, 30-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: guns vs. household cleaners vs. gamers (was Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?)

(...) I (...) to (...) The purpose of bleach is not to kill people, and the purpose of handguns is, so it's kind of a misleading comparison that you are making when you talk about banning. My point was simply that people *do* consider household (...) (24 years ago, 30-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: guns vs. household cleaners vs. gamers (was Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?)

(...) This seems like a funny issue. I've tried to talk about it before without much success. Who gets to decide purpose? I own a handgun. Do I get to decide what it's purpose is as the owner? Does the company (Ruger) that manufactured it get to (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: guns vs. household cleaners vs. gamers (was Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?)

(...) much (...) The primary use of a handgun is to shoot people. If you want to go hunting, it's a poor choice. Target practice? Yes, but that's not why handguns were invented. Ruger. Good choice. Very solid. I liked my Ruger much better than (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)