 General / 7850
Re: Who here in Legoland has a Cable modem?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 06:17:59 GMT

On Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 05:15:53AM +0000, Matthew Miller wrote:
Bram Lambrecht <braml@juno.com> wrote:
had some old Macs with less than 640x480 up until last year.  Also, for a
page to print on most/all printers, the content shouldn't exceed  515-550
pixels.  That said, I must admit that I (almost) always browse the web at

Really? Most printers these days can do at least 100 pixels per inch easily,
which gives 800 across...

Not quiet right.  You forgot that most printers (actually, none the
average joe can afford) print at one 'image' dot to a print 'dot' for
normal images.  Why?  Because for a B&W print to print "gray" it uses
several dots.

I always aim for about 540 being the right width.  I try to keep down
graphics, and text is much much easier to read in narrow columns, such as
in newspapers.

You want two high contrast colors for you primary text/images, plus a
third color for important eye-catching info.  The more colors you add, the
more you muddle the page.  Some exceptions are content keying, (eg
dictionary side bars are slightly different background colors).

Don't forget to include heigh/width tags for images, avoid .gif files that
are LZW compressed unless you are 100% sure that the program you used to
generate them is legit.  Heck, don't use them anyway.  Unisys is on the
war-path again....

The human brain can only chunk (group together) 5 to 7 things, so keep
lists and important links down to 5 or 7.

More info at http://www.useit.com/

My site at http://lego.gerf.org/

Ciao!

--