 General / 4848
Re: 2 Things...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 19:14:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Brown writes:
1: The text is tiny, and often 'greyed out' which makes everything tend to
blend into everything else,

Do you mean the indented quoted text on the full-article view?  Too light
and too small?

2: My *by far* prefered method of browsing messages is the 20-at-a-time
list of subjects, and currently, I can't get the most recent 4 messages
on that list without playing with URL's and doing guess-work as to the
most recent messages.

Would it be better if the first

   More:  All | Brief | Compact

link on each group page repeated the 4 shown messages when you clicked it?
In other words, if the last article is #100, and you click the "Compact"
view, would you rather see articles #100-#81 even though the "Brief" forms
of #100-#97 have already been just shown?

3: It takes me one more click to get to where I want to go.

Do you tend to hop around from group to group while reading news, or to read
lots of groups?  You might try making a custom HTML file on your local
system with a series of links like this:

   http://www.lugnet.com/build/?n=,-20&v=c
   http://www.lugnet.com/general/?n=,-20&v=c
   http://www.lugnet.com/market/auction/?n=,-20&v=c
   etc.

and see how that feels, and if you like that, maybe we can figure out a way
to do something similar somewhere on the server.

4: Message display appears to be fixed at half my screen width.  This is
mildly irritating, since I almost always have to scroll down now, even to
read a short message.

Fixed at half on all of the pages or only the intro-pages?

5: Messages don't get marked in any particular way (that I can tell) if
I have read them.  This means that every time I go back to the list, I
have to hunt down the list scanning text until I figure out what the last
message I read was, instead of simply looking for the color change.

What video mode are you running in (how many bits of color)?  Are the blue
link-boxes not showing up as dark-colored visited links for you?

Of these points, the last one is the most irritating, since it (so far, at
least) has seriously increased the amount of time I've spent browsing
messages instead of reading them.  This morning, it's taken me as long to
get through .general in the amount of time it typically takes me get
up-to-date on everything.

Do you think it might be easier to see the difference if the VLINK color
was a shade of (the more standard) purple instead dark blue?  Did you ever
have this problem with the old interface?

OTOH, I think the new format *looks* much better.  Very clean, very
professional.  Nice work.

Thanks.  The old stuff was just a hack thrown together, which just sort of
happened to work.  This was thought out.  I'm glad that the main problems
are only cosmetic.

--Todd