 General / 4950
Re: 2 Things...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 22:58:35 GMT

Fredrik Glöckner wrote in message ...
"Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> writes:

A big thing here is also more visibility and awareness for the loc • groups,
which people had been having a lot of trouble finding and using.

So the problem is to draw Swedish people to the lugnet.loc.se.* groups,
say?

How about this idea: If there is a coutry where at least one LEGO
interested person lives, some people from that country can make the
unofficial regional LUGNET homepage for that country, in the regional
language, subject to a lot of constraints as to the design of the web
page and so on, obviously.  This homepage will have links to regional
resources, such as shops, MOC's, meetings and so on.  _And_ it will have
links to the regional lugnet.loc.* groups.

The point here is that people from Sweden, say, can go to the unofficial
Swedish LUGNET homepage, read it in Swedish, visit links to other
Swedish LEGO resources, and read the lugnet.loc.se.* groups (in Swedish
or English, I suppose).

Administering this will be hard, but I suppose one can make rigid
templates for the regional homepages, so that devoted people from the
country in question can just fill in the information needed.

Does it sound like a good idea?

Fredrik

I think this is a great idea.  As one who travels a fair amount I would take
advantage of this resource if it existed.  In fact, I will in actually be in
Stockholm in about two weeks and would love to browse the Swedish page
before I get there.  Although if it were in Swedish it wouldn't do me much
good since my Swedish is limited to knowing how to ask for a "strong beer".
While I think that the local language decsion should be left to the person
expending the effort, it would be a big help to visitors if the information
were also available in another language and English probably makes the most
sense.

Mike - mike_walsh@mentorg.com
http://members.tripod.com/mike_walsh