 General / 4866
Re: 2 Things...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 20:50:10 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Brown writes:
And, as I forgot to mention, the text size is also too small (for me) to
be comfortably scanned on the compact listings (and presumably on the
others, as well)

I could make the subject line one size larger in the compact listings, if
that would help.  It's at SIZE="-2" now, and it could probably go to
SIZE="-1" and still fit 20 messages on a 800x600 laptop display.

http://www.lugnet.com/build/?n=,-20&v=c
http://www.lugnet.com/general/?n=,-20&v=c
http://www.lugnet.com/market/auction/?n=,-20&v=c
etc.

OO!  OO!  Tried it.  Liked it.  No further testing necessary.  Now, if
only I could get straight there from /traffic/.... ;-)

OK, give that a shot now.

Ok, having paid more attention this time, it doesn't seem to be fixed
at half.  Rather, the width seems to be determined arbitrarily, and I'm
not sure by what.  None of the messages I've read to date have been wider
than 1/2 my screen, but several have been smaller, to about a minimum of
1/3 width.  I'm not sure what's going on.  Perhaps the web interface wraps
the message box at whatever width it comes in at?  That would put messages
that came in via the web about 1/2 width.  <shrug>  I dunno.

Can you give me the URL of a page that is exhibiting this weirdness?  Or
better yet, a URL and a screenshot?  It's possible (but unlikely, since I
think you're running Netscape 4.5x) that you have a buggy browser which
handles table widths funny.  MSIE used to be really bad at calculating
table cell widths dynamically, but it's gotten a lot better.

--Todd