 General / 4847
Re: Reconstructing second hand LEGO sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 19:12:10 GMT

Brian, don't rule out the possibility that the former owner had a set of just
minifigs: 6703, for example, would take up four different colour Futuron figs.

I'm watching this thread with interest since this kind of detective work is my
very favorite thing to do with Lego!  (When I get my hobby room, I'll have
space to build, but for now I'm making notes and sketches, buying misc. lots
and documenting what I have.)  I find Fibblesnork extremely useful for minifig
ID and general visual scans, within the themes documented there (Space, Castle,
Pirates, Aquazone, Wild West and Time) even though 1997 and beyond is not quite
finished.  The lugnet inventory lists are an excellent resource: Tim Vattima's
mainly for town, and Margo Kubiak's for pirate and castle.  I downloaded all of
Margo's text files to my hard drive in order to be able to grep them for a
certain piece. (Find one set with it in, get the exact text string she used for
it, and search the rest of the files for that string.) Tim's I have to use
online but it's easier to use for set ID.  Looking forward to (eventually)
having these integrated into the main set database.

I'm very glad to hear about James' piece lists, because I haven't heard of any
amount of inventories or set-piece crossrefs for Space yet.  Like you, I've
resorted to building from kl.net the sets I think I have, but it's taking a
long time and is frustrating if I get stuck because I'm missing an important
piece.  Technic sets, too, seem just about impossible to identify from a pile
of elements.  However I carry on and will find some use for all these
odd-looking pieces even if no-one knows what set they came from...

Kudos to all the contributors to the available body of knowledge, you've done a
fine job helping us get more enjoyment from our Lego!

Heather Patey
hpatey@nfld.com
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Pirate Wench / Brick Detective

In lugnet.general, Brian H. Nielsen writes:
There is the LEGO Parts List link on James Jessiman's page.  This list
references part numbers by what colors and sets they came in, and how many in
the set.

  Thanks.  That is exactly what I'm looking for!  Now I can look at sets
containing various unique parts I have and evaluate which sets are most likely
based on the other parts I have.

  I previously sleuthed out that I'm almost certain I've got 6882 Walking
Astro Grapler, 6881 Pulsar Charger.  A couple I thought I had I now think I
don't.   Now I've figured on 6698 Rescue-1 Chopper and 6676 Mobile Command
Unit, and I think 6824 Space Dart-I.  Other part searches leave me with no
sets in the running because of too many other missing key parts.  If only the
prior owner had not lost so many pieces this would be much easier!  I know
from the prior owner that all these jumbled sets are all small and medium
size, so that helps rule out quite a bit.

  I've still got a pile of Futuron mini-figs unassigned to sets.  <sigh>

Brian