 General / 4797
Re: Reconstructing second hand LEGO sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 20:10:46 GMT

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999 19:10:06 GMT, "John VanZwieten"
<john_vanzwieten@email.msn.com> wrote:

Terry K <legoverse@geocities.com> wrote in message news:376c2064.7506701@lugnet.com...
On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 02:33:13 GMT, "Brian H. Nielsen"
<70401.2635@compuserve.com> wrote:

  I recently bought a medium size jumble of LEGO pieces and am trying to
sleuth out and reconstruct the original sets (there are no instructions).  I've
done extensive browsing through the Fibblesnork LEGO Guide identifying
candidate sets from some of the unique pieces in the mix and have had some
small successes.  The going is slow and I am hampered by the previous owner's
apparent tendency to lose LEGO pieces.  With substantial numbers of parts
missing from the sets I believe I am reconstructing I'm not 100% sure I'm
reconstructing the correct sets.  I know most of the sets are from the Classic
Space, Blacktron I, Space Police, Futuron, and M-Tron, with a couple from Town
and at least one Technic set.

  Is there any reference material available which catalogs the sets that
specific parts appeared in?  With this in hand I could much more easily choose
candidate sets for reconstruction.  I feel like an archaeologist holding a
femur and a tooth figuring out what dinosaur they came from!

  Any help is appreciated.

Brian

There is the LEGO Parts List link on James Jessiman's page.  This list
references part numbers by what colors and sets they came in, and how many in
the set.

Sadly, with James passing, the list has not been updated in a long time.  But
with older sets it is still quite useful.

Of course, there have been many changes to the part numbers in LDraw, which can
confuse things as the page uses original numbers he had.  But with a little
searching, you can usually track down what is needed.

http://silo.riv.csu.edu.au/~jjessiman/lego/index.html  or
http://silo.riv.csu.edu.au/~jjessiman/lego/legopart.html

-- Terry K --

This really is a great resourse.  I don't know if it's exhaustive, though, even for the years it covers.  I seem to recall finding
some of these parts in other sets from the period, but it was over a year ago, so I may remember incorrectly.

No, I don't believe it is exhaustive.  And many numbers used (element numbers)
have been changed.

Does anyone have the database on which these pages were based?  I'm assuming they are based on a big pot of inventories somewhere.

Good question.  James may have had a database, or maybe he just kept track in
some simple way.  I think Joshua did help him some with that project as well.

I think a link to this page should be added to the lugnet.inv page.

-John Van

-- Terry K --