 General / 2370
Re: ThrowBots elements are cool
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 22:14:00 GMT

I have noticed the joints weaken and the since the soft plastic of the arms are
connected to the harder plastic pivot sockets there is some visible wear. Any
device that relies on friction to restrict movement will wear out in time and
the soft plastic of the arms will make these models more susceptible to this
particular problem. The throwing arm seems to be the softest plastic part but
the joints for the arms and legs seem like the regular ABS. Exotic plastics and
resin hardeners could have been used but that is unlikely since the cost would
be prohibitive. The fundemental problem is the models rely on friction joints
like a car relies on brake pads, too bad they will wear out.

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Huw Millington wrote:

Do you find that the one on the thowing-arm becomes pitted and damaged due
to the soft plastic being dented by the harder plastic socket housing as you
move it around? I only have one and found this to be the case after about a
week of posing/removing the arm.

I don't know the answer to this as I haven't slung the disks much or
played much yet.

--
See you over the event horizon,

James