 General / 2332
Re: ThrowBots elements are cool
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 18:33:52 GMT

In article lugnet.general, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:
OK.  Well, it's probably easier and more cost-effective for them to put TB
under the TECHNIC brand name than to create two new brand names.  I guess
they felt ZNAP is different enough from TECHNIC to get its own totally
separate brand name.

Maybe.  That doesn't seem to stop many corporations.  I'm assuming TLG
defined TB as Technic, because they saw a positive benefit from the
association.  Further, I'm guessing that TLG thinks the positive benefit
is either (a) revitalizing Technic or (b) historic respect for the
Technic brand influences people's opinion on TBs.

Of course, it's entirely possible that the Technic people developed TB,
so they got to say the sets are Technic.

Aha, those sound like a lot more plausible reasons.

[...]
OK, you're on.  :)  Our Mavica [camera] is supposed be back from the fix-it
shop later this week and maybe I can make something and put up some photos.

Cool.  After your dentist chair, I have high expectations.

Maybe I'll work one of the ball-joint thingies into the base of the dentist
chair and have a combination g-force vomit comet / dentist chair.  :)

I misspoke about the camera, BTW.  We're expecting an -estimate- on fixing
the camera by the end of the week, not actually having it back.  Luckily,
the car insurance company has agreed to pay for the damage since the damage
to the camera was car-related*.

I know what you mean 'bout them being maybe a bit overly decorative.  But
hey, but they sure ain't no pirate ship hulls or Belville kiddie slides.

Watch what you say 'bout them pirate ship hulls.  My current 'design'
for the Spaceship BR uses about 20 of the mid-sections from the RBR.
Mostly because each fuel cell uses 6 of them.

HoHO!  See?--even pirate ship hulls have other uses.  NOW lemme hear you say
that TB elements can only be used for poseable action figures!  :)

Oh, wait.  My estimate
was low.  The current design uses *40* of those dang things.

Zoiks!  That's like 20 RBR's!

Of course,
the current design also depends on some parts that never existed (like
red octagonal corridor parts).  I guess I'll be buying some red roof
packs.

I really miss the old Expert Builder-style Technic with the big beams.  :-(
I mean, I love almost all of the new Technic elements, but I don't
understand why 1xN beams have been nearly completely phased out...

My guess: beams make clunky models with studs all over.  Norman Mailer
(for example) complained about studs all over being a bad thing.  Reduce
the beams, add in angle beams and flex-tubes, out comes smooth, sleek
models with visual excitement.

Yeah, I know.  :-)  The new stuff looks sleek and better, I just still miss
the old utilitarian look...probably just nostalgia.  I was never much of a
Technic-head but always thought I'd grow into it someday (then got totally
sucked into Space :).

(It's funny--the Chopper Force #8232 has a feature with a very high
playability index, that also is a good demonstration of a ratchet.
There's a push-button on the side that turns the rotors.  The
push-button is rubberband-loaded, so it springs right back after you
push it.  The whole is encased in a reinforced frame of Technic beams.
You can use a lot of vigor on that button, get the rotors going.  Great
fun and good learning.)
[...]

Argh, I never built the ones I broke up for auction.  :-(  Say, didja ever
build the spinning top model that's the alternative model in the Bungee
Chopper sets?

--Todd

* We ran over it by accident.  Twice.  (Long story.  :-)