 General / 2301
Re: ThrowBots elements are cool
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 21:18:58 GMT

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999 19:42:02 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:

In article lugnet.general, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:
[...]

I just hate the fact that TLG feels the need to identify TBs as Technic.

Because it *is* Technic, my friend!  :)

Only by definition.  That is, it's Technic because TLG says it's
Technic.

Technic is supposed to be about building models (often large and
complex) which include more mechanical operation than regular System
products.

Don't the new ball & socket elements count?  It's a whole new form of
3D polar-coordinate movement.

Yes, they count.  If the sets made use of the potential for anything
more than making poseable action figures.

TBs has none of that.

'ay, have you built any of the models yet?

Yes.

Not only are the new elements fully Technic-compatible (axle and peg holes),
but the TB sets include are actual classic Technic elements, for example:

  1x1x.5 Toothless Pulleys
  1x1 8-Tooth Gears
  2x2 16-Tooth Gears
  3x3 24-Tooth Gears
  4x4 40-Tooth Gears
  3L Catches
  2L Cross Catches
  #6 Angle Joints (90 deg.)
  2L Axle/Pegs
  2L Friction Pegs
  3L Friction Pegs w/ Stop Bush
  3L Axles w/ End Stud
  1x1x1 Stop Bushings
  2L Worm Gears
  #2 Notched Axles
  #4 Axles
  #5 Axles
  #6 Axles
  Technic Fig Visors
  Flex-Tube Casings
  3-Blade Aquazone-Style Propellors

And a bunch of funky new mostly-decorative new bits.  I say "mostly
decorative" because that's how the parts are used.  They would be more
generally useful for building if they were less decorative.  As it is,
I'd classify them as SPUDs.  Go ahead and prove me wrong.

I think this TB system isn't a flash in the pan.  I think it's something
that opens the door to a lot of new building possibilities and it's
something likely to be integrated into the mainstream Technic sets over
time, if not futuristic themes as well.

Maybe.  I think it's more like it opens the door to whole new *product*
possibilities, and *profit* possibilities.

I'm not too psyched about the TB models per se (I'm not in the target
market) but as far as the elements go, I think they're awesome!

The models were mostly what I was commenting on.  Influenced by my
opinion of (many of) the new pieces.

It's a look-and-feel thing.  TBs don't lnf like old Technic.  Heck, they
don't even lnf like new Technic.

Constrast this with the Star Wars sets -- the new pieces, by and large,
look like they are generally useful building pieces.  They are not
overtly decorative.  Other than minifigs and their accessories, there
are not many (if any) new pieces in the SW sets I would classify as
mostly decorative.  SW sets lnf very much like classic LEGO System sets.
IMO.

Steve