 Publishing / 302
Re: The Mavica (was Re: ThrowBots elements are cool)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 20:28:00 GMT

James Brown wrote in message ...
Todd Lehman writes:
[followups set to lugnet.publish]
In article lugnet.general, fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no (Fredrik Glöckner)
writes:
We just upgraded to the FD-81 last weekend and it is fantastic!  It only • has a
3x zoom, but we've got an external zoom anyway.  What it does give is up to
1024x728 resolution on your jpgs, with a great option to take a hi-res .bmp
instead of .jpg!  - not sure how many of those it will fit on a disk, • though.
Also, the BIG feature this time around is movies!  It'll take up to a • minute of
movie at low res (160x120, I think), and 15 seconds at hi-res!

1024x768 at 24 bits is over 2.3MB, so none will fit on a floppy.  If they
use 8 bits or 16 bits, you could fit either one or (you guessed it) none
respectively. 800x600 at 24 bits is 1.44MB, so I think a single 800x600x24
could fit if there wasn't any other overhead, but you still have to have a
sector for the directory which means it probably wouldn't either.  .bmp is a
lousy format for storing images in.  Leave it at .jpg and you can probably
fit several, even at 1024x768x24.

I got a Kodak Advantix Film Drive (FD-300) for my computer.  Advantix film
"stays" in the roll (unlike 35mm where you get the negatives back but no
roll).  You stick the roll of processed film into the drive and can scan and
manipulate at your leisure.  It's got 3 resolutions 875x500, 1750x1000 and
2625x150, scans at 2400 dpi (optically).  The driver software scans images
as .bmp's, which I immediately convert to .jpg for about a 5-70% space
savings.  My only complaint I have is that you can't "automatically" scan an
entire roll, you've got to do it one picture at a time.  It handles all
three formats (Classic, HDTV and Panoramic) that Advantix cameras support.

Mike