 General / 2305
Re: ThrowBots elements are cool
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 23:23:11 GMT

In article lugnet.general, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:
I just hate the fact that TLG feels the need to identify TBs as Technic.

Because it *is* Technic, my friend!  :)

Only by definition.  That is, it's Technic because TLG says it's
Technic.

OK.  Well, it's probably easier and more cost-effective for them to put TB
under the TECHNIC brand name than to create two new brand names.  I guess
they felt ZNAP is different enough from TECHNIC to get its own totally
separate brand name.

Technic is supposed to be about building models (often large and
complex) which include more mechanical operation than regular System
products.

Don't the new ball & socket elements count?  It's a whole new form of
3D polar-coordinate movement.

Yes, they count.  If the sets made use of the potential for anything
more than making poseable action figures.

I suppose the current selection of sets doesn't allow for too much beyond
poseable action figures, but the underlying _system_ surely has lots of non-
poseable-action-figure uses.  We should wait and see what Jeremy Sproat and
Terry Keller come up with.  They can turn anything into a spaceship.  :)

[...]

[...list...]

And a bunch of funky new mostly-decorative new bits.  I say "mostly
decorative" because that's how the parts are used.  They would be more
generally useful for building if they were less decorative.  As it is,
I'd classify them as SPUDs.  Go ahead and prove me wrong.

OK, you're on.  :)  Our Mavica [camera] is supposed be back from the fix-it
shop later this week and maybe I can make something and put up some photos.

I think this TB system isn't a flash in the pan.  I think it's something
that opens the door to a lot of new building possibilities and it's
something likely to be integrated into the mainstream Technic sets over
time, if not futuristic themes as well.

Maybe.  I think it's more like it opens the door to whole new *product*
possibilities, and *profit* possibilities.

I know what you mean 'bout them being maybe a bit overly decorative.  But
hey, but they sure ain't no pirate ship hulls or Belville kiddie slides.
And even a pirate cannon carriage/cradle has other uses.  :)

   http://www.fibblesnork.com/lego/cannons/

I'm impressed by the variety of ways the TB elements are used even in the TB
sets...  Some elements seem to appear in 3, maybe 4 different
configurations.

Anyway, I'll build something non-poseable-action-figure-like.  Pictures
speak louder than words.  :I

I'm not too psyched about the TB models per se (I'm not in the target
market) but as far as the elements go, I think they're awesome!

The models were mostly what I was commenting on.  Influenced by my
opinion of (many of) the new pieces.

It's a look-and-feel thing.  TBs don't lnf like old Technic.  Heck, they
don't even lnf like new Technic.

I really miss the old Expert Builder-style Technic with the big beams.  :-(
I mean, I love almost all of the new Technic elements, but I don't
understand why 1xN beams have been nearly completely phased out...

Constrast this with the Star Wars sets -- the new pieces, by and large,
look like they are generally useful building pieces.  They are not
overtly decorative.  Other than minifigs and their accessories, there
are not many (if any) new pieces in the SW sets I would classify as
mostly decorative.  SW sets lnf very much like classic LEGO System sets.
IMO.

OK, I think I get what you're saying now.  There are too many complex
patterned elements these days which look cool in their proscribed
configurations but which due to their complexity limit their own
interchangeability...?  That is, some of the new TB elements may indeed be
capable of connecting 6 different ways, but a 2x4 brick they ain't...?

--Todd