 General / 2334
Re: ThrowBots elements are cool
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 18:43:14 GMT

In article lugnet.general, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:
Something I thought of while cruising www.lego.com:  using a
fuzzilogical POV, which has a higher affinity for being Technic,
Mindstorms or Throwbots?

My brain says Mindstorms is highly Technic, maybe 95%.  It uses standard
Technic pieces, both old-line (1xN beams) and new-line (corrugated
tubes, angled beams).  It (should) appeal to older children, with
interest in making constructions that do something, rather than look
like something.  I'd say that Mindstorms should fill the same niche in
today's market that Expert Builder filled in its time.

Throwbots, on the other hand, have a low affinity to Technic.  They use
some of the same pieces, but so do System sets.  They really depend on
brand-new elements, which wouldn't fit in other Technic models (yet,
maybe they'll be incorporated in the future).

Yet TLG says Throwbots is Technic, and Mindstorms is a wholy separate
line.  This puzzles me.  Target-market-wise, Mindstorms falls in with
Technic.  Throwbots doesn't.

I think it's in a wholly separate line because LEGO MINDSTORMS is a separate
division/unit of LEGO (supposedly as separate as LEGO MEDIA and LEGO DACTA,
for example).

Still silly for us fans, though, I totally agree.  I'd also put MindStorms
as about 95% Technic, and ThrowBots about 25% Technic (currently).

--Todd