 General / 19283
Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 16:47:04 GMT

Howdy,

....this issue has always been a bit of a conundrum for me at the school. As a
matter of policy, there are no references to
guns. I also toss all guns/weapons into the trash. I remove all minifigs with
gun elements painted on them. I do this
because 1) There is too much violence associated with guns, 2) There are too
many toys that emphasize guns and
"gunplay," and 3) Students would be attracted to those elements to distraction
from other projects.

We do talk about medieval weaponry ( such as trebuchets and catapults ) at PCS.
The exception to our rule
has to do with "constructive and positive" building reasons.To build in order
to  garner a better understanding of history is acceptable. To build something
just to hurt someone is unacceptable.

Richard
rwright@pcsedu.com
www.weirdrichard.com

Deidre Rushton Brumby wrote:

Following on from the topic of "small action boys" and Lego stereotyping in
loc.au, what do other parents do with the guns in their Lego sets?...etc