 Dear LEGO / 183
Re: TLG investigation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:15:00 GMT

D Blomberg wrote:
<snipped a pretty good summary... (1) Too bad I could not get to the
point that well :-) >

I agree with Larry.
I would probably not bother to join such a club if it did not
offer service packs and bulk parts for adult modelers.  This newsgroup
and individual websites are providing a wealth of ideas, information,
original models, and historical information.    It is also offering
part sales, but not at attractive prices.  The club would have to
go beyond that and add something new... like discounts and bulk parts,
a forum where we can express ideas and TLG can officially respond,
and a method to meet face-to-face rather than only in the form of ascii
text messages.
And we can even do the latter without the help of TLG.
The Internet community is ahead of you and moving faster to service
itself.

Agreed. EXCEPT for the fact that no matter how we rearrange things, we
cannot get a green 1x4x3 train window to appear for a reasonable price.
Or a forest wench. We can get very efficient at building community,
creating, modeling, doing software, and general clubbish stuff, we can
even get quite efficient in reallocating from the universe of sets
produced, but we CANNOT part out sets and end up with parts that were
not in them to start with.

TLG has yet to show that it has the corporate aptitude to meet the needs
of this community.
Please prove me wrong.

I think it has the aptitude, it just doesn't have the desire. Yet. But
it's at least sniffing around trying to arouse itself. We must fan that
flame.

1 - Paraphrasing Jefferson: "sorry for the length of this letter, I
didn't have the time to write a shorter one"