 Dear LEGO / 203
202  |  204
Subject:
It's all about parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 08:29:39 GMT

But I see Lego as a toy that emphasizes creativity, imagination, and
adaptability (most LUGNETers claim to agree with this, as does TLG.).  The • idea
of releasing old sets seems like a hack or a cop out to me.  I'd much • rather
see quality NEW sets, inspired by the greatest of the old sets as well as • the
new creative possibilities available with the wide range of new peices.

That would be fine if these new sets also contained older pieces which are
no longer available in certain colors.  Parts is what it all comes down to.
I think any serious Lego collector could build some of the old sets they
want from their hoard of pieces, it just won't be in the same colors.
That's the problem.  You want this piece in this color and they don't make
it anymore.  It's not just that the designs were better (boy were they
ever!), you need that particular part and only this old set has it.

AND your creative possibilities are expanded by having more pieces to work
with.

Dave