 Dear LEGO / 178
Re: TLG investigation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 12:58:19 GMT

I'll no doubt post a more detailed response later.

For now, here's what I want, apologies in advance if the terseness makes
it read as rude.

1. TLG must take the AFOL community seriously. We are a small market,
but an influential one, and one that can be grown to be far larger. So
stop sending form letters in reply to our inquiries, and make a serious
effort (Jerome, you're a good start...) to understand what our needs
are. Fire the Danes that see TLG as just another job and who don't love
the brick.

2. Bulk parts. I want access to any part that is in current production.
I'm willing to pay, and I'm willing to wait for it to be scheduled in so
as not to impact set runs. Onesies and twosies are not economical for
TLG, so don't do them... but I remain convinced that structured right,
large quantities would be a money maker.

3. Foster consortiums. The impact of bulk parts is actually LESS if they
are in large quantities. I tried to put together a special run of 1000
units of an assortment of parts that train heads would like, knowing I
could re-sell 950 of them and keep the rest. I got blown off with
folderol about brand identity dilution. So, foster resale of parts to
keep the economies of scale up for the manufacturing facility. If you
don't trust Joe Random Individual, even one with deep pockets like me,
go work with the Construction Site or some other bonafide retail
presence that understands the AFOL and will protect the brand. Make us
preorder with payment if you're not sure the numbers are there. You'll
see.

4. Better buckets. The suggestion for a mos eisley themed tan bucket
with a good assortment of architectural shapes is an excellent one.
There are half a dozen other good buckets that could be done

5. Better service packs. Why are the windows so sparse? We should have a
service pack with every window style ever made in every color. That
would sell. Ditto for tiles.

6. Most important. Be true to yourself. Don't give in to the tide of low
attention spans. Fight it. Stop juniorizing every single line.

The original question about clubs is actually only of limited interest
to me. I'm not sure I'd care for  restrictions on what I could do in a
club unless there was a clear benefit. Certificates and frothy articles
don't do it. I want parts, parts and more parts. And some sense that TLG
gets it.

++Lar