 Dear LEGO / 193
Re: TLG investigation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 16:45:49 GMT

Mark Tarrabain <markt@lynx.bc.ca> wrote:
Actually, it doesn't matter to me personally either.  I was merely attempting to be
sensitive to the needs of people that I would imagine are actually out there. I would
have guessed, however, contrarary to what you are saying, that many people with
vintage sets value the sets *because* they cannot be obtained any more.  It's not
about making a profit, it's just about having something that not everybody else can go
out and get themselves.  I don't know any other AFOL personally, though, so I could be
wrong.

I guess that's the difference between someone who "collects" Lego
stuff for the sake of collecting it and someone who wants to amass a
collection of Lego stuff for the sake of having cool stuff, if that
makes sense.

My 6067 is valuable to me because it is cool and one of the best small
sets Lego has ever produced.  It is not cool because it is rare (to
me, anyway).  It would be just as cool and just as awesome if I had a
hundred of them and if everyone else had a thousand.

I guess maybe some people are petty enough to take pleasure in having
something that nobody else can, but even if there are some AFOL's who
think their rare classic sets are slightly more valuable because of
that factor, I can't think that any of us value them solely because of
that.

I also don't know anyone in our community who wouldn't rather give up
the "rare" status of their favorite sets in order to have 10 more of
them for parts purposes.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - Meet more LEGO fans in your area through LUGNET