 Dear LEGO / 197
Re: TLG investigation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 20:28:00 GMT

Mike Stanley writes:

My 6067 is valuable to me because it is cool and one of the best small
sets Lego has ever produced.  It is not cool because it is rare (to
me, anyway).  It would be just as cool and just as awesome if I had a
hundred of them and if everyone else had a thousand.

I agree with this attitude. And this is exactly why I see little reason for re-
releasing archaic sets. Let me give an example:

My 8 year-old brother and his friends seem to have similar criteria for
selecting lego sets. They like new or rare pieces, especially minifig
accessories. My brother's class had an extensive lego trading ring set up last
year, and their holy grail was the "white Blacktron Jetpack" accessory, which
has recently reappeared in the new Spaceport theme. Now the piece they wanted
is available, without releasing old sets.

Few of the sets from my childhood collection (mostly 80's space sets) would
have a chance of competing against the flash of the newer sets in the general
(kids') market. Frankly, the newer sets are constructed with a greater variety
of specialized pieces. While some AFOLs may see this as a detriment, I doubt
many kids would agree.

On the other hand, there are many older sets which I would eagerly snap up if I
were to find them in stores. I particularly like the design and piece selection
in the Blacktron and Space police sets that appeared during my dark ages.

But I see Lego as a toy that emphasizes creativity, imagination, and
adaptability (most LUGNETers claim to agree with this, as does TLG.).  The idea
of releasing old sets seems like a hack or a cop out to me.  I'd much rather
see quality NEW sets, inspired by the greatest of the old sets as well as the
new creative possibilities available with the wide range of new peices.

Josh Spaulding
http://members.tripod.com/~josh_spaulding