 Dear LEGO / 201
Re: TLG investigation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 06:26:29 GMT

Josh Spaulding <josh_spaulding@hotmail.com> wrote:
But I see Lego as a toy that emphasizes creativity, imagination, and
adaptability (most LUGNETers claim to agree with this, as does TLG.).  The idea
of releasing old sets seems like a hack or a cop out to me.  I'd much rather
see quality NEW sets, inspired by the greatest of the old sets as well as the
new creative possibilities available with the wide range of new peices.

It is a cop-out of sorts.  But the sad reality is that, with the
possible exception of the Star Wars sets (and there are rumors Lucas
insisted on higher quality for those), almost all of the current and
recent sets SUCK.

So yeah, I'd love to be pushing for the designers to start making
quality sets again.  But they seem to be largely incapable of it in
the general line.

So while it would be nice to get an entire year of new sets that are
as good creatively as some of the Classic castle sets, I don't see it
happening.

Merely reproducing the grand sets of old shouldn't be a problem,
though.  No effort, no creativity required.

It would be nice to see the current TLG designers stand on the
shoulders of the giants who put them where they are today and reach
even higher, but if they can't do that, they could at least reach down
and reproduce what they used to do so well.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide