 Dear LEGO / 168
167  |  169
Subject:
TLG investigation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 23:27:10 GMT

Hi everybody,

My name is Jeroen Ottens. I work at Lego Futura Technic Billund (the
development department of Lego as you will probably know).
Yes I am one of TLG
My job is to design some of the new Lego Technic models. However I am also
involved in a group which is investigating the possibility of starting up
International Lego Clubs for Juniors and Adults.

At the moment we don't know how we should organize such clubs, we don't
even have cristalclear views on what such clubs would do. But we do know
that clubs like that exist out there. So what we want to know is:
How many of those clubs exist?
Are they real-life based or virtual (internet) based?
How big are the clubs?
And more important:
What could Lego do to help you?
Would an official Lego certificate give extra value, even if it would mean
that you would loose some of your freedom (Lego has to protect his/her
image)?
If you are member of a lego-club (and that can be seen in the broadest
sense as possible) and you think you have something to say, please do.
If you want to mail me personally, my mailadress is:
ottens@get2net.dk
I have posted this message also on lugnet.general so you might have seen it
before. I don't really mind were you answer me, however I check my emails
most regular.
I must however warn you that I am not allowed to tell anything which is not
publicly known anyway. :(

I'd like to stress the point that this is still an investigation. It's not
sure yet that this idea about lego clubs will happen.

Happy building,

Jeroen Ottens

To prevent some much asked questions some personal information:
I have been lego maniac since my birth (or three years later), I have
pictures of myself throughout my entire life with models I made. I stopped
playing when I was 18 and went to University. I started studying Mechanical
Engineering and after four years I had to work in a company to gain
experience (part of the curriculum). I happened to be able to do that in my
hometown, so I went back to my parents and stayed there for three months.
In these months I got my experience, but I also assembled Cape Canaveral
from the Lego still lying at home.
I was caught again with the virus and started collecting again. In Enschede
(where I studied) I build in no time a size-able collection of Lego
Technic. It's amazing how many students love to give Lego to somebodies
birthday :) .I was finally able to make my dreammodel. A F14A Tomcat
fighterplane, which could do anything but flying. The model itself was 80
cm long, and 80 cm wide when the wings were fully extended. I used three
electromotors, 7 pneumatic cylinders, a fibreoptics system and loads of
Lego to create a plane with retractable gears (suspended and steered
nosewheel), swingwings, tailerons, brakes, flaps, cockpit lights, etc. etc.
I graduated a year later and thought about working at Lego. However some
other company offered me a job, which I accepted. However before I started
that job an advertisement appeared in a newspaper asking for Lego Technic
Designers. I got the change and took it with both hands. I applied, got
through all the rounds and the rest is history ;)
As far as working inside Lego is concerned, I'm afraid I can't tell
anything. Sorry, but I'd like to keep this job.