 Dear LEGO / 192
Re: TLG investigation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 16:03:08 GMT

Mark Tarrabain wrote:

Actually, it doesn't matter to me personally either.  I was merely attempting to be
sensitive to the needs of people that I would imagine are actually out there. I would
have guessed, however, contrarary to what you are saying, that many people with
vintage sets value the sets *because* they cannot be obtained any more.  It's not
about making a profit, it's just about having something that not everybody else can go
out and get themselves.  I don't know any other AFOL personally, though, so I could be
wrong.

Mark, I'm not just picking fights with you, honest. :-)

I spent close on to 800 to get my two airport shuttles. I would not be
mad, or upset or disappointed if I could all of a sudden buy more of
them for closer to the original MSRP. I'd just buy more. Why?

I've gotten my 800 worth of enjoyment out of my shuttles already. They
are gorgeous sets.
You haven't seen a lot of Monorail MOC work from me. I tend to leave
MOCs put together. But I don't use the parts from airport shuttle, OR
6990 OR 6991 them in MOCs because I don't want to disperse the parts. If
I could buy more shuttles I would, gladly, and do some MOC work. I
suppose that since I have like 4 6991s I should be doing building with
those. Probably right.

Maybe other AFOLs are more collector oriented. Maybe I am fooling
myself, because I DO brag to people that I'm 9V complete, (2x, if it
were not for one missing clubcar) Launch Command complete, airport
complete, mono complete, etc. etc. But I really really think I value the
sets highly because they are good, not because that's what it took to
get them.

I dunno. Could be all wet.

++Lar