 Dear LEGO / 1534
  Re: Model Shop Inventories

---...--- (...) production (...) Given the above, would it not be possible for someone at the model shop to hire some kid to do special orders out of the bulk, thus to defer the cost of parts ordered by the model shop? Seems like a (please don't (...) (24 years ago, 20-Jun-99, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general)

  Brad Justus...

...and the long silence. ::sigh:: Interesting how he showed up just in time to deflect some sort of actual public statement on our part against the TLC, and just before the demise of S@H Canada and the end of parts packs in the U.S. And summer seems (...) (24 years ago, 15-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Brad Justus...

(...) I agree! What is more, we haven't heard from him in a while? Patience is Ok, but some reply would be appropriate after this amount of time. At least some information. Sincerely, Doyle (24 years ago, 15-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Brad Justus...

A quick check on my part showed the Dec. posting "announcong LEGO Direct" reseived 220 postings in responce. Who can say how mutch e-mail... I don't blame Brad for being carefull about responding. He gets chushed every time he posts... -Rich (...) (24 years ago, 15-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Brad Justus...

(...) ---...---^^^^^^ I hate it when that happens....;-) -John (...) (24 years ago, 15-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Brad Justus...

(...) I've not heard this expression before, can you provide the etemology? Is it a UK/US/OZ thing? (24 years ago, 16-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Brad Justus...

Found out some News! Accessories aren't being discontinued, I spoke to a rep that knows Brad, and explained that Maybe they hope to have Lego Direct up by Holiday season, and it still in the workings no final draftings as of yet. Also it was (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Brad Justus...

Doyle, thanks for the info, but I have some questions. (...) Did he explain why in the latest S@H catalog the "limited quantities" note appeared above each of the accessories offerings? Did somebody at TLG jump the gun and put these notes in by (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Brad Justus...

Daniel Poole wrote in message ... [ ... snipped ... ] (...) and (...) and (...) explained (...) the (...) for (...) I spoke with a woman at S@H back in December when it was first mentioned that service packs might be going away. She told me they (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Brad Justus...

(...) Since no one else is speculating, perhaps I can give it a try ....... One of the major stumbling blocks for bulk orders in the past (prior to the USA discontinuance of bulk sales in 1987) has always been the LEGO inventory control system. All (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general)

  Re: Brad Justus...

Gary Istok <gistok@umich.edu> wrote in message news:38AAF740.349174...ich.edu... (...) the USA (...) control (...) get (...) removed from (...) has been (...) encountering (...) current (...) windows, but (...) doesn't look (...) the rest (...) Of (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general)

  Re: Brad Justus...

One of the totally ridiculous parts of all this is that Consumer Affairs, if not ALL of TLC... DON'T USE THE PART NUMBERS MOLDED INTO THE PARTS! If you call CA and try to point them to the right part by giving them the part #, they can't look it up (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general)

  Re: Brad Justus...

(...) I don't know about you, but I'd be happy to wait three to six months for my bulk order to make it through the production queue--at least it'll be *possible*. (However, I know that such a delay would not be acceptable for most FOLs, and (...) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general)

  Re: Brad Justus...

(...) the (...) I'm sorry, I wrote the letter late, I have a few more details to relay. Yes they did have limited quanities on most of the accessories and thats why the put limited, but to my knowledge of what was explained, it wasn't to indicate (...) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Brad Justus...

Gary, This sounds oh-so-similar to a question I asked here... (...) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general)

  Re: Brad Justus...

(...) Let em charge whatever they want and implement whatever kind of minimum quantity policies as well. They'll keep true fanatics happy and they'll keep the parts auction crowd in business redistributing to smaller buyers. (24 years ago, 17-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Brad Justus...

(...) If but it were so simple! There is one thing I don't understand about TLC. That is the "consumer spare parts inventory" versus the "model shop inventory". I would love to know the procedures involved for maintaining these two. Here are some (...) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general)

  Re: Brad Justus...

(...) Thanks Ray, I must have missed your reply. It certainly makes you wonder how they handle the two processes. Gary Istok (24 years ago, 17-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general)

  Model Shop Inventories

It's a good thing somebody sent me this one.... Thanks J1. The Enfield model shop orders it's pieces from the stores of the production runs. While it was possible to have a custom run made for a large (20+ K8's. A K8 is approximately a 2'x 1'x 1' (...) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general)

  Re: Model Shop Inventories

Does that mean there are still K8s of light blue bricks and plates laying around there that we might talk them out of? ;-) I say that because there are all SORTS of pieces at LLC in light blue that never came in a production set, and aren't used in (...) (24 years ago, 18-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general)

  Re: Model Shop Inventories

[snip] (...) if they (...) Those would (...) Actually I think I did see trans-dark-blue heads in sets also. I only remember there's one in 5808. It is printed with a fish and used for the small aquarium in the Belville Castle. I think they've been (...) (24 years ago, 18-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general)

  Re: Model Shop Inventories

(...) <big snip> Doesn't the 'Ultimate LEGO Book' have pictures of LLC buildings being built at the model shops in Denmark? I don't think the Enfield model shop builds anything for LLC - the build stuff for the Imagination Centers; for the (...) (24 years ago, 18-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general)

  Re: Model Shop Inventories

There are multiple model shops across TLG, the one in Enfield does get most of it's bricks from down the road. As a general rule, only the shops that are designing/building for the theme parks have access to the really rare pieces in any type of (...) (24 years ago, 19-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Model Shop Inventories

(...) production Here's an example of a K8 box: (URL) this case it's not full of bulk bricks, but just a convenient container for newly purchased sets). (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general)

  Re: Model Shop Inventories

For those of you who were hoping that LEGO Direct might be able to sell rare LEGO pieces (like light blue bricks and plates), this info from retired LEGO employee John Kelly sheds new light onto this. I hope that Brad Justus is able to get rare (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brad Justus...

(...) I have to disagree with this pretty strongly. My idea of the bulk orders service would include minimums not too far out of reach of the average builder, and at a price that would make subsequent smaller auctions unlikley. The whole internet (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Brad Justus...

(...) Ok. :) (...) If that's what you think will happen, I think you're going to be disappointed. Let's talk some numbers here. Minimums "not too far out of reach of the average builder." Ok, what's that? 10 egg-shaped trees? That's a fair amount of (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Brad Justus...

I want to order anything I want. But I'm willing to accept a 6 month lead time and a K8 per color minimum quantity as long as I am not constrained from reselling (even if a constraint is placed on what my markup can be, I can live with that) I can (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Brad Justus...

(...) Then it will bankrupt the company anyway, because if they think kids want either this junior junk, or their unusually lame CD-ROM games -- then their whole marketing theory is wrong. They need to get back to brick basics and pronto. TLC's (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Brad Justus...

(...) Not yet, that's what they do just before Chapter 11. Already they have had to ditch an almost entirely electronic affair in favor of "bricks and mortar" warehousing. And that's not the end of it either... I see the splitting stocks and 0 (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Brad Justus...

You lost me here. Is the internet changing everything or isn't it? Are low value add middlemen going away or aren't they? And what point are you trying to make, exactly? Not saying it isn't valid, just that I can't parse it out. (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Brad Justus...

(...) Apples and oranges. Yes, the current line of sets is rather less than we could wish, but instituting a service in which I can buy one tile for 1 cent is going to bankrupt the company. Some restrictions will be needed or it will fail. Why does (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Brad Justus...

(...) The one thing I think people are missing is this. TLC must be careful not to make the Bulk ordering too easy for the consumer. If I got all the special bits I needed I wouldn't be buying all the dud sets (Or multiples of sets) to get a few (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Brad Justus...

(...) Me. I don't pass up on deals. And no matter what Lego Direct does or does not do, there will still be clearance sales and there will still be a place for the small-time parts seller/auctioneer to work. We might have to adapt, but we'll be (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Brad Justus...

Dean Husby wrote in message <38B216BE.ED52CF50@a....bc.ca>... (...) consumer. (...) sets (Or (...) clearance (...) Well, all they have to do is make sure their return on investment for selling bulk bricks is as good as or better than for sets. Of (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Brad Justus...

Hello All, :) Most likely they will use the quanity price ratio with a set minimum. I do know one thing, whether it would bankrupt TLC or not (which in my opinion it would, I agree with Lar on that.) There will be a minimum order and dont expect (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Brad Justus...

Richard Marchetti wrote: <snip> (...) <snip> Yeah, that might be great, but it would be certainly "off-topic" in a Lego Forum..:-) Selçuk (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Brad Justus...

(...) Yes, the middleman is going away. Thats my prediction on it. Middlemen like Amazon.com will enjoy a short run, and then companies and other kinds of creators will figure out they can deal directly to the public and make bigger profits even if (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Brad Justus...

(...) I can't help you or TLC here, I won't pay full retail for a dud set. I may not even pay 50%. I am not sure how low some Rock Raiders stuff has to go before I would even be interested. I buy only what I like, not everything I see. Call me (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  megabloks answer our requests (Re: Brad Justus...)

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Richard Marchetti writes: --snipped-- (...) --snipped-- (...) dictionary! gotta throw my two cents in here and admit that i seriously believe megabloks is answering the afol's requests. i picked up the smaller tank (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Brad Justus...

(...) the (...) I just received the latest catalog in an order from LS@H ("Galaxy of ADVENTURE!", Spring 2000) and noticed that the "Limited Quantities" is still mentioned on the accessories pages. The catalog is shorter, so perhaps this explains (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.technic)

  Re: megabloks answer our requests (Re: Brad Justus...)

(...) With all of the positive comments that I'm reading about Megabloks, I'll have to take a second look at them. I sincerely hope that Lego is reading this thread. Memo to Lego: Does it mean anything to you that some of your most loyal fans are at (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Brad Justus...

(...) But the brick packs will remain. I didn't ask about certain accessories like technic, etc. But this explains a lot, apparently the limited quanity on all accessories is a mistake, and more or less are for certain items. I mean lego just (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Brad Justus...

(...) I don't think they are cancelling the acc packs, I just think they are bringing out new versions with new #s, which they do from time to time. There have been several times in the past where a "new" acc pack was just an old one with a couple (...) (24 years ago, 25-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Brad Justus...

Tom, I certainly hope you are right, but I don't see the parts to make train cars anymore. I cannot see them changing the wheel sets or bogie plates. I would like to see a new window pack that would have the newer town windows in more than just one (...) (24 years ago, 25-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.technic)

  Re: megabloks answer our requests (Re: Brad Justus...)

(...) to (...) This past Christmas I helped my 6 yr. old cousin (I am 20 FYI) build one of his Chirstmas presents. A Megablocks NASCAR racer. One of the big ones. Not only was the color variation annoying but the bricks were either too loose or too (...) (24 years ago, 25-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: megabloks answer our requests (Re: Brad Justus...)

(...) Here's a brief review of the tank: (URL) Dave! (24 years ago, 25-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: megabloks answer our requests (Re: Brad Justus...)

(...) Lots of people make this assertion, or similar ones, and I can only say that I must be extremely lucky in my experience with MegaBloks, because I've never encountered problems like those you describe. I'd estimate--without shame, mind (...) (24 years ago, 25-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Brad Justus...

(...) The spring S@H catalog is usually smaller than the others. And the Holiday edition is usually larger. That's at least part of the reason for missing items. Accessory pages are often squeezed down or omitted in the Spring edition. Ditto for (...) (24 years ago, 25-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.technic)

  Re: megabloks answer our requests (Re: Brad Justus...)

(...) Fascinating, seriously. Everytime one of my cousins gets mega-blocks and asks me to help them with it I tend to verbally berrate my aunts and uncles. I have not ever encountered a Mega-Bloks set that didn't suffer the problem of half the (...) (24 years ago, 25-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  (canceled)

  Spring S@H Catalog (was Re: Brad Justus...)

(...) This is true. The Spring Catalog for North American Shop At Home (formerly just USA) traditionally has fewer pages and far fewer items listed than other catalog issues. This has been true for at least the last four years or so. The abreviated (...) (24 years ago, 27-Feb-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: megabloks answer our requests (Re: Brad Justus...)

(...) Given Mr. Gordon's difficulties last season and at the 500 this year: Maybe the model "won't stay together" because the MB designers did too good a job making it like the real car.......(snicker) Roger If MORE is better, then TOO MUCH should (...) (24 years ago, 28-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: megabloks answer our requests (Re: Brad Justus...)

(...) model (...) for (...) plates. (...) neve (...) to (...) thread. (...) are (...) 2nd (...) are (...) It looks like TLG have already chosen their direction on this - witness the escalating number of Robot/Technic and Junior sets compared to the (...) (24 years ago, 29-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)