Re: Contributor Agreement License details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 21:31:36 GMT

First, let me disclaim that this is not legal advice.  It is merely my
understanding of the CA License.  I do have some legal knowledge of copyrights,
but for any legal advice please contact and retain an attorney.

Second, I don't know whether this is a "culture-quip" but "license" is
misspelled throughout CAReadme.txt.

Third, here is my understanding of how the license in the CALicense.txt file
will apply to parts:

The part file is the Work, and each part file must include the license.  Any
model file which contains the part file will be a Collective Work, and that
Collective Work must contain the license describing that it affects the part
file.  A rendering of the part file or any model file containing the part file
will be a Derivative Work.  When you create this Derivative Work and distribute,
publicly perform, publicly display, or publicly digitally perform said
Derivative Work you must include, to the extent reasonably practicable,
information pertaining to the copyright of the Work, licensing information of
the Work, and credit to the author of the Work.

So, at the very minimum it seems that when you credit yourself as the author of
any Derivative Work you must credit all the authors of the Works you used as
well.

Fourth, I am not so sure about being "free to make commercial use..." in such a
broad sense.  This is more spidey-sense than anything, and is again not legal
advice, but the license keeps repeating distribute, publicly display, and
publicly perform.  Therefore, I think you can commercially distribute the Works,
and I think you can commercially do stuff with Derivative Works and {probably}
Collective Works... but I think it ends there.  I do not think you can
commercially display the Works...if that is even feasible.  Therefore, I think
the statement "free to make commercial use..." is overbroad and maybe
misleading.

I'll try to answer any other questions, but again this is not legal advice.
These are merely my opinions and should be treated as such.