Re: Contributor Agreement License details - updated version
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 20:30:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Timothy Gould wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Timothy Gould wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse wrote:

In the case of a render the finished product is most definitely a
derivative work as without the parts it could not exist. As such
it falls most distinctly under the realms of the license.

I disagree.  A sculpture may contain obvious marks from a
distinctive chisel, but is not a derivative of that chisel.  Now if
you make a new chisel based on the distinctive chisel, that's a
derivative work.

That is not a fair analogy. Arguably POVray (or ldglite or ldview)
is the chisel but the parts are a necessary part of the final
work. There is no way to use a typical LDraw file without the parts
library to render a scene.

Actually I was thinking of the LDraw library as the chisel(s), and
to be honest, I don't understand why it's an unfair analogy.  It just
seems obvious to me.

I figured you were which is why I called it unfair. Without the library
the render cannot exist. Without the library the LDraw file is just a
meaningless list of transformations and codes.

I figured you were which is why I called it unfair. Without the
library the render cannot exist. Without the library the LDraw file
is just a meaningless list of transformations and codes.

Actually I'm fairly certain the folks at Lego could easily devise a
way to import a model file into LDD on a PC with NONE of the official
Ldraw files installed.  They could then generate a rendering in LDD and
publish that on the internet, perhaps in connection with a sale of some
sort.

Are you asserting that's a derivative work?

don,

you wouldn't have a model file at all without the parts library. at least not
without extreme effort because of the missing visual feedback. I'll give you
some codes: CM051P09.dat, HF300P09.dat, CM060P14.dat, CM053P03.dat, CM250P02.dat
... now go and build your model without using the library. when your are done
and I'll look at a fine spaceship I'll agree with you that models are not
derivative work.

w.
(not speaking for the Steerco)

ps. the above part numbers are not fake. those are hirst molds and you can build
hirst models in MLCAD with:
http://www.dungeoncrawlers.com/CastleMoldsCad/parts.php

... unfortunately their library is based on LDraw primitives ;-)