Re: Contributor Agreement License details - updated version
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 22:47:31 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Willy Tschager wrote:
you can build hirst models in MLCAD with:
http://www.dungeoncrawlers.com/CastleMoldsCad/parts.php

... unfortunately their library is based on LDraw primitives ;-)

Now this is more along the lines of what I'd consider a derivative
work according to the license, but only if their part file library
actually includes ldraw primitive files, or text copied from the parts
or primitive files.  If they just reference them, then it's probably
not really a derivative work.

Now I suppose you could make the argument that the ldraw primitive files
were completely invented by the ldraw part authors, and thus any direct
reference to the primitive *files* makes a new part file derivative of the
ldraw library.  I'd still prefer that you not make that interpretation,
but I wouldn't argue as strenuously against it.

However this library seems to only use the ldraw language, and does not
appear to reference any of the actual files in the library.  So I'd say
it's complimentary, but not derivative.  And besides, the website already
contains multiple links to ldraw.org, and so does the fake stud.dat file
in their parts library.  That seems like a reasonable effort towards
attribution.  What do you think is missing?

Have fun,

Don