Re: Contributor Agreement License details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:39:15 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Timothy Gould wrote:
Good point. Perhaps an additional comment like:

In order to avoid the listing of all contributing part authors it is sufficient
to give credit to "the LDraw Parts Library" in Derivative Works in lieu of such
a list.

As an addition to the end of the licence?

Maybe it's just me, but if renderings are considered derivative works, we need
to seriously step back and think long and hard about whether or not we are OK
with that.  I personally think that forcing renderings to have text on them
acknowledging that the parts came from the LDraw Parts Library is a serious
restriction, and very different from how things are now.  My understanding was
that the intent in switching to the CA license was to force people who
distributed the actual part files to be bound by it, NOT for people doing
renderings.  Am I mistaken that this was the original intent?

I agree, clarification on rendered images is needed. If a rendering using LDraw
parts is a derivative work, and derivative works are required to visibly display
credit, that's a problem. It won't show up on my renders; I don't burn "Credit:
Photoshop Dev Team" on images I make with Photoshop, there's no reason to put it
into LDraw-derived images.

- Kelly

There is one significant difference between LDraw and Photoshop in that you pay
for the right to use Photoshop without giving credit. That said I don't think we
need to vandalise our images to put the credit in but I'm not completely averse
to requiring an accompanying credit file to be included. Personally I would like
to see this as compulsory for commercial use of LDraw created images.

Tim