Re: Contributor Agreement License details - updated version
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 22:04:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Anders Isaksson wrote:
Tim Gould wrote:

There is no way to use a typical LDraw file without the parts library
to render a scene.

Actually there is. Anton Raves' library comes immediately to mind. Using
that you're not using any information from the LDRAW parts, only the
placement information in the model file. And his is not the only library of
Lego parts in the world...

I did think of Anton Rave's library and LGEO but there aren't a lot of models
which use exclusively parts from LGEO (I have never used Anton's library). Sure
you can provide a counter-example and of course LDraw.org has no control over
renders generated entirely with either of these or BlockCAD.

What I did say was a "typical LDraw file". Now I find it hard to believe that a
"typical" file would contain no parts that are exclusive to the LDraw Parts
Library. I am arguing semantics here and unless we define "typical" in some
meaningful way the argument is really moot but likewise so is your
counter-argument.

But... I have already said that I agree that models are not neccessarily
derivative works and that I am happy to remove them from the Readme bit about
derivative works. I'm not sure what further point these limited counter examples
provide.

Tim