Re: Contributor Agreement License details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 15:03:36 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Zachary Best wrote:
I agree, clarification on rendered images is needed. If a rendering
using LDraw parts is a derivative work, and derivative works are
required to visibly display credit, that's a problem. It won't show
up on my renders; I don't burn "Credit: Photoshop Dev Team" on
images I make with Photoshop, there's no reason to put it into
LDraw-derived images.

While rendered images are Derivative Works, I do not think you would
have to add anything such as a copyright notice to them.  The
language of the CALicense.txt paragraph 4.2 says to the extent
reasonably practicable or at a minimum where you give yourself
credit.

In other words, if your rendered image is "clean," you would not
have to add anything to it, in my opinion, because it is then not
reasonably practicable to add it.  However, whereever you put a
copyright notice, such as "(c)Kelly" on your picture, in some
accompanying text, at the bottom of your website, etc. it must also
contain acknowledgement to the parts authors...or if it can be done
to the LDraw Parts Library.

This is crazy talk.  People sign paintings, but nobody is ever gonna
staple a note on the back of a painting that says, "This painting was
created with ACME brand paints and brushes."

Please don't insert any such crazy demand in the ldraw license.  I
think it's quite enough to suggest on the ldraw website, and/or in a
README file in the ldraw distribution that it's a *nice idea* to
mention the source of the ldraw parts when you distribute images
created with them.

The license should be focused on the part files only, not on images
created with the parts.

Have fun,

Don