Re: Contributor Agreement License details - updated version
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 17:35:25 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Timothy Gould wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Timothy Gould wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse wrote:

In the case of a render the finished product is most definitely a
derivative work as without the parts it could not exist. As such
it falls most distinctly under the realms of the license.

I disagree.  A sculpture may contain obvious marks from a
distinctive chisel, but is not a derivative of that chisel.  Now if
you make a new chisel based on the distinctive chisel, that's a
derivative work.

That is not a fair analogy. Arguably POVray (or ldglite or ldview)
is the chisel but the parts are a necessary part of the final
work. There is no way to use a typical LDraw file without the parts
library to render a scene.

Actually I was thinking of the LDraw library as the chisel(s), and
to be honest, I don't understand why it's an unfair analogy.  It just
seems obvious to me.

I figured you were which is why I called it unfair. Without the library
the render cannot exist. Without the library the LDraw file is just a
meaningless list of transformations and codes.

I figured you were which is why I called it unfair. Without the
library the render cannot exist. Without the library the LDraw file
is just a meaningless list of transformations and codes.

Actually I'm fairly certain the folks at Lego could easily devise a
way to import a model file into LDD on a PC with NONE of the official
Ldraw files installed.  They could then generate a rendering in LDD and
publish that on the internet, perhaps in connection with a sale of some
sort.

Are you asserting that's a derivative work?  Or do you really want to
force people to use other part libraries in order to publish renderings
of their model files.  That seems counter-productive to me.

I think the trainheads might agree with me here.  Who cares if
somebody's using a model file or a rendering to make some money?  The
the more important issue is the ldraw library got us more cool train
designs to choose from.

Personally, I think the license is OK.  It's just the odd interpretation
of "derivative works" that bothers me.

Ok, you can kick me now.  I deserve it.  ;^)

Don